Tyre sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tyre sizes

This may be a stupid question leading from bad information but here goes.
I'm looking to buy an explorer very soon and I have been told that explorers use non standard and very expensive tyres. I don't believe it entirely but it never hurts to ask.
I'm looking at 1997 to 2000 models.
I couldn't find this question on a search as my search function doesn't seem to work.
Thanks

They don't use non-standard size tires. Expensive? You are going to pay more for tires than you would a typical car tire but cars don't weight 2 tons either. Now since you are in the UK I don't know how readily available the tires are over there so that may be why people are telling you they are "non-standard" and "expensive".

Now if you are buying a lifted (or planning on putting a lift on it) then you will be paying more for tires but stock size tires shouldn't be that bad. Enjoy your Ex if you get it.

Thanks for the info, I think some people assume that as it's an american design then things like tyres will be different. There are a few cars over here like 5 series BMW's that use unusual tyre sizes which cost a bomb and spooks some people. Hopefully some UK owners may reply with their experiences.

Back