Ugh - spark plug issues - snapped clean off, ez out snapped | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ugh - spark plug issues - snapped clean off, ez out snapped

I haven't done anything to get the ez out yet but yes I did fire it on 7 cylinders.

I'm making an appointment with the shop today. It's pretty depressing to me that I got a whole side done no problem, then messed up the other side. The explorer isn't my only ride - just my winter one.

FWIW I'm using NGK G power plugs - I didn't mean to start a war over plugs but Ford is to blame for the half thread BS, and they wanted $8 a plug for the AS413 or whatever the PN was. $64 for spark plugs? No thanks!!!

On the other hand - I had a feeling my plugs were original so it goes both ways. From what i gather from my removed plugs the engine seemed to be running fine BUT the gap was over .080 - amazing!

I heard that Ford has a specific tool for the 5.0 to remedy the broken plug issue. Is this true??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FWIW I'm using NGK G power plugs - I didn't mean to start a war over plugs but Ford is to blame for the half thread BS, and they wanted $8 a plug for the AS413 or whatever the PN was. $64 for spark plugs? No thanks!!!

On the other hand - I had a feeling my plugs were original so it goes both ways. From what i gather from my removed plugs the engine seemed to be running fine BUT the gap was over .080 - amazing!

I heard that Ford has a specific tool for the 5.0 to remedy the broken plug issue. Is this true??

I used NGK in my old SOHC equipped Sport and they worked just fine. Bosch plugs seem to be bad for our trucks. You're getting gouged on Motorcraft plugs. I pay less than that for mine at a Canadian dealership. Motorcraft parts up here are always a lot more than in the US.

I think the XP 104 plugs run over $10 each here in Canada! Another reason I don't personally recommend them. I didn't pay anywhere near that when I scored some from the US.
(EDIT: They cost $17.09 CAD for a two pack at Canadian Tire which is about as cheap as they come up here...I can find Motorcraft plugs for around $6/each if you call around....only dealers seem to have them in Canada)

In all honesty, Autolite copper plugs are a great choice too and are super cheap down there (I think around $3/plug). I saw Motorcrafts for around $5 US at car parts stores when I was there last (2 summers ago). I think you can even get them at Walmart. As was said earlier, the "half thread" issue is no longer an issue with replacement plugs. Just the OEM stuff spec'd at the factory.

I haven't personally heard of the tool you're looking for.

Good luck solving this issue. I live in Western Canada. Luckily we don't use much salt on the roads here (but it's changing). I never had the same hassles you did.

Well I called around and one nice shop said they'd lend me a hand Thursday morning.

Tonight/tomorrow I might just try to grind in a slot good enough to get a wrench on - I've got nothing to lose i guess.

I disagree on that. You should come to Michigan that where they put Salt road in winter.

Many plow trucks that I need change spark plugs was PITA. I would spray Pb blaster or Kroil everyday for 1-2 weeks it help much. Then bring propane torch to heat then spray again. It will get out no problem.

I never broke spark plugs yet in 6 years yet. It get alot patience. You try hurry you put your butt in wrong FAST!!!!!
If you'd put a bit of anti-sieze on them, they'd come out with zero effort.
And they do salt the roads where I live, not like in MI, but it's there every year.

Well, Ford does not like the ideea of anti-seize I guess :)

Well, Ford does not like the ideea of anti-seize I guess :)

Well these 5.0 equipped Explorers are 10-15 years old now. If someone hasn't changed the plugs and applied anti-seize by now, then that's the real issue.

I agree that Ford should have applied some to the threads, used different plugs at the factory etc. Then again, they have lousy rear wiper designs. Don't get me started on all the problems I've had with my driver's door (lock, actuator, handle etc). How about the location of the PCV? I can go on.....;)

I love my truck. Ford is far from perfect, but the 2nd gen Explorer will always be my fave vehicle and the 5.0 makes the difference. Too bad the plugs are such a beyatch to remove on trucks, but it's another annoyance in the design. Won't motivate me to sell my truck any time soon. :D

Your rear wiper does leave a spot in the middle of window that is not wiped - like mine too :) ?

wow ,the ez-out went right thru the plug ,did the remnants of that plug fall into the engine i wonder??

Tadaaaaa!
feb5b506.jpg

Also got plug 3 out with generous chiseling away corrosion around the hex.

Now.... What to do about this....

6e48b05b.jpg

I guess I'm in a better situation than I was 24 hours ago.

Nono, the second one in your pic is the one I broke (Autozone, no?)! I had used also one like the one that you broke but I decided to try the new one, since the first one wasn't gripping "good enough" anymore. Of course, I had to use the 24" breaker bar on it, like a maniac, and snap it. :)

I found out that the "walls" of the spark plug are too thin, will swell with that fine-threaded model.
Use something like Craftsman! It gives some room to warp, swell...

00952315000?wid=500&hei=500&op_sharpen=1.jpg

Of course, your milage might vary, good luck! In fact, goush you ARE lucky... I am green of envy now :(

Awesome work, I'd be leaning towards a really high quality easy out... lots of PB in there first, clean around what's left there first to help it come out.

Got that craftsman set ordered for pick up. Might give it a shot tonight but it's chilly!

Thanks to this guy:

02e8cc74.jpg

I am SO CLOSE to having it out!

2c875ffa.jpg

One problem though it just reached a point and kept turning without moving - I bet it's stuck somehow... thoughts?

drive something in between the head and the plug like a thin punch to bend it a bit so you can grab what's left with needle-nose?

well I got the remnants out - the threads were toast. Time for an insert!

Yep, I got some inserts too now...
Carefull with the junk that falls into the heads - crank it first with no spark plug in, so the trash gets pushed out that way, instead of thru the valves.

Yep I have cranked it without the plug in and also put in a magnetic tool to get crap out as well. Hopefully my insert goes well today so I can get some new treads put on Monday :)

Autolite XP's are well worth the money because- they have a platinum button on the side wire, something your DIS equipped Explorer needs to prevent gap erosion
Learn more here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TqB76mZzhM
They are also nickel plated to prevent corrosion, something that would have prevented the issue this string is about. You get what you pay for. using any brand of copper core plug in a 5.0 Explorer only insures you will be changing them again in 25k miles

well #### - believe it or not my insert fell into the cylinder! I really don't know what I did in a past life but I guess I was Hitler.

So... I'm swapping in an engine with 70k on it... and will fix the head later on and re-sell the engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread rates up there with worst nightmares.

Back