• Register Today It's free!

Under truck air deflector

Bill McCauley

Reaction score
City, State
NORTH ARLINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hey guys to the are deflector that is under my truck fell off on the highway that’s right it fell off now does it actually do anything like do I have to buy another one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YES It helps keep the PTU cool. Replace it. Cheaper then a PTU replacement. Also to a fluid service on the PTU.

YES It helps keep the PTU cool. Replace it. Cheaper then a PTU replacement. Also to a fluid service on the PTU.
Got ya I knew it had a purpose thanks and yea I already changed the ptu fluid because I read where it’s located

I have an extra one at home, that came off my 14 Limited and I forgot to put it back on before I traded it in. PM me and I'll send you a few pics.

You might see what a local junkyard wants for one, could be cheaper than the shipping charge from TX.

How did it happen? Road debris tear, fasteners loosened or failed?

You might see what a local junkyard wants for one, could be cheaper than the shipping charge from TX.

How did it happen? Road debris tear, fasteners loosened or failed?
I think it failed from the fasteners all the female tabs are there I think it vibrated lose I removed it to look at something and I don’t think I tightened it back enough

Hey guys to the are deflector that is under my truck fell off on the highway that’s right it fell off now does it actually do anything like do I have to buy another one
These were initially installed on Explorers that had the factory tow package to direct air to the area of the PTU/transmission for additional cooling.. Therefore I'm guessing you have the tow package. If you don't tow, then I doubt it will make any difference if the deflector is there or not.

Peter

^ PTU is still a weak link due to the small fluid capacity, every bit of airflow to it should help... in addition to timely fluid changes of course.

Back