• Register Today It's free!

Front Air Deflector

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
Does the black plastic air deflector under the front bumper actually do anything? I wanted to install a set of tow hooks on front but figure i better check before removing it.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does have an aerodynamic effect at highway speeds, but it's mostly a cosmetic piece.

You can remove it without worry, or just cut slots into it for the tow hooks if you want to keep it on but want the tow hooks too.

I'd say removing it is a good idea for a vehicle that you're going to put tow hooks on, since it changes the looks slightly to give a visual "lift". Removing the plastic side skirts can be a good idea, too, both for the visual effect and to avoid the hassle of them breaking or coming apart off-road.

You can keep the plastic stuff for re-installation later if you convert back to stock or want to sell the vehicle without the mods, or just if you want to make a few extra bucks from someone who wants to buy the plastic pieces.

Its purely cosmetic on our trucks. If our truck was lowered to the ground then it might have some benefit.

Thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured but then thought it might be worth double checking. I pulled it off on my B2 for some hooks without thinking twice. I thought it looked a lot better but then didn't know if somehow it actually did serve a purpose.
Thanks!

Back