Unknown wiring harness elements at master cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unknown wiring harness elements at master cylinder

GWSteppin

Reaction score
City, State
Glenwood Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4wd OHV M5
My 97 Explorer Sport has this unknown (to me) portion of wiring harness downstream of the two connections at the master cylinder. A bundle of wiring has been folded up and zip tied to itself and then to the brake lines.
20190201_171017.jpg

20190201_170957.jpg

Ford obviously didn't build it this way - it was like this when I bought it - and nothing seems amiss with the truck, so any idea what this is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be your recall protection harness for the cruise control deactivation switch. Ford didn't build them that way, but they should have. There was a problem with the deactivation switch leaking, shorting out and catching fire. If your Explorer/Mountaineer doesn't have this harness it needs to have the recall done.

Ditto, that recall is because the circuit to that switch on the master cylinder is hot at all times, and not fused. The added harness simply adds a fuse into the circuit, in case the fluid leaked from the switch and a fire occurred. That points to a need for a fuse on all sensors like that which are always hot, for all vehicles ever made.

OK, then. Thanks for the explanation.

Actually that's where the Flux Capacitor interfaces at .....:D

If you remove that then your warp drive will not engage

That would be your recall protection harness for the cruise control deactivation switch. Ford didn't build them that way, but they should have. There was a problem with the deactivation switch leaking, shorting out and catching fire. If your Explorer/Mountaineer doesn't have this harness it needs to have the recall done.

Ditto, that recall is because the circuit to that switch on the master cylinder is hot at all times, and not fused. The added harness simply adds a fuse into the circuit, in case the fluid leaked from the switch and a fire occurred. That points to a need for a fuse on all sensors like that which are always hot, for all vehicles ever made.

Do you have the recall info? I'm wondering if my 96 Sport is affected. I'm like 20 years late :angryfire:

Do you have the recall info? I'm wondering if my 96 Sport is affected. I'm like 20 years late :angryfire:

I've dealt with 1997-2001 Explorers, Mountaineers and a Sport Trac. At least 1/2 of my vehicles did not have the cruise control recall done. Check with your local Ford dealership. They can look up your vehicle by VIN number and see if there are outstanding recalls, I would assume the 1996 should also have had this recall done to it (1995-2001 Sport or 4-door it doesn't matter).

Alternately I guess you could find the recall pigtail on a Gen II vehicle in a salvage yard and install it yourself (just look for the big blue label). It's plug and play. Note: If your CC deactivation switch is leaking brake fluid it will also need to be replaced.

I have a 96, and mine got the recall.

I put my VIN into the Ford recall website and this is what I found:
51672250_10161626357205107_1580286491613986816_o.jpg

How bad was this problem? LOL Is it worth messing around with getting it done?

The harness, or the harness with switch, are available each as a separate part number. They could be bought new and installed easily by yourself...

My vehicles that hadn't had the recall done were all around 12-15 years old and none of them had a leaking CC deactivation switch. One switch started leaking immediately after having the recall done so I guess that switch was ready to fail. My Ford dealership replaced the switch for free, but I had to argue with them about it. I think the switches with the red plastic top were the ones that tended to fail. If you have to/want to replace your switch they're not expensive. IIRC around $8 on eBay.

It's one of those things that may never give you problem, but if it does it's catastrophic and can burn your house down or cause you a huge liability. Are you willing to take that chance? Whether you have to buy the pigtail, or get Ford to install it for free, I'd get it done. Why take the chance? I recall Ford vehicles catching fire on the news in the early 2000's and burning peoples homes down.

Is this the part?
Motorcraft SW6350 Brake Repair Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYLZDO

That kit does not appear to have the 2 fuses on the harness (or the blue label) so I'd say that's not what you want. Last time I checked Ford was still doing this recall at no charge, but that was probably 4 years ago.

Until you get the recall done, I'd unplug the CC deactivation switch and live w/out CC for a while.

That kit does not appear to have the 2 fuses on the harness (or the blue label) so I'd say that's not what you want. Last time I checked Ford was still doing this recall at no charge, but that was probably 4 years ago.

Until you get the recall done, I'd unplug the CC deactivation switch and live w/out CC for a while.

Mhmm Ford lists the part as the correct one for my vin (X). There is no chance to get it replaced, for free by a dealer, here in Chile.
Kit - Brake Repair | FordUS

Mhmm Ford lists the part as the correct one for my vin (X). There is no chance to get it replaced, for free by a dealer, here in Chile.
Kit - Brake Repair | FordUS

Well, all I can tell you that harness does not look like any of the ones Ford installed on any of my trucks. All of my harnesses have 2 fuse holders. I can't tell if that one has a fuse or not. The fuse(s) are the fix for the problem if the switch leaks and shorts out.

Well, all I can tell you that harness does not look like any of the ones Ford installed on any of my trucks. All of my harnesses have 2 fuse holders. I can't tell if that one has a fuse or not. The fuse(s) are the fix for the problem if the switch leaks and shorts out.
Thank you! I'll keep searching

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very interesting reading: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2007/RCRIT-07V336-8625.pdf

It seems to be 3 types of different switches. The original faulty one, a replacement that matches your description and a second wave of parts that seems to be like the one offered in amazon. Or maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. Anyway, this document doesn't list my year and model as an affected vehicle, even when the Ford recall page does.

Back