Up Explorer - Only Has Reverse and 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Up Explorer - Only Has Reverse and 2

Rickwhite1991

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 UP
Hi guys, Just bought another explorer (this is no3) First auto though. Got it cheap cause the guy thought it didn't go forward at all.

Well he was mostly right, In D with revs it kinda trys to move, but cant. In position 1 it will crawl forwards - But in reverse it engages and goes fine, Same when it's in position 2. Nothing's flashing on the dash, OD button seems to still work.

I need some help on how to figure out my issue, then fix it. Im pretty good mechanically and happy to tackle a rebuild if it comes to that (second hand trans is alot cheaper then having a pro-rebuild anyway).

Appreciate any help :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check for a code anyway, turning the key off and then back on stops the OD light from flashing, but if a code was generated, it remains in the computer. If no codes then pull the valve body and look for blown gaskets also look for metal in the pan, if there is metal pieces in the pan a rebuild is probably needed.

Check for a code anyway, turning the key off and then back on stops the OD light from flashing, but if a code was generated, it remains in the computer. If no codes then pull the valve body and look for blown gaskets also look for metal in the pan, if there is metal pieces in the pan a rebuild is probably needed.

I'll do that, how does one pull codes?

With a scanner that is made to pull transmission DTC codes.

Can you recommend me one?

And i dropped the pan and valve body today. No metal anywhere so i guess thats a good sign lol. The gasket didn't seem obviously damaged (although it is now haha) and i tested the restience of all the solenoids and they were all normal.

OK Well. I put a new VB Gasket/plate and Filter in it, new fluids. And there are NO Codes, at all. OD light isnt flashing either.

However it's still stuffed. Takes off in 2 Fine, then switch to D it seems to work fine. But i cant tell if its shifting above 2nd or not (Dont have enough rode to get to that speed here) But's about 3k revs at 80km/h - If i try to Manually downshift to 1 it just slips like crazy, but feels like it's almost grabbing.

And Reverse works fine aswell. Also after driving from 2 into D - It starts screwing up again after dropping below about 30km/h at which point i need to move into 2 again to get moving.

If i cant fix this in the next week, it'll be hitting the scrap im afraid

Mine is doing exactly this... any ideas as to why...

Friends, "Progress" has now taken us all to the point where a transmission failure causes scrapping of the vehicle! I'm demoralized! imp

Nope, after doing the Fluids and VB Gasket, no difference. Ended up selling it to somone who had the same car with an engine fire. And he put a donor trans in it.

My research said it was most likely the Overdrive Sprag......but i never confirmed

My car got shipped off to the Auto shop today to get the trans rebuilt. $4300AUD should see me back on the road!

Back