• Register Today It's free!

Updating Software

PotatoExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd.
Hi everyone, what are all the software points that can be updated and installed on these 4th gen Explorers? Has anyone updated any of them and have you noticed any differences and/or think it's worth the hour of labor price? I understand you can update Sync to the latest version, but I'd be more interested in the driving components.

According to ForScan, my Explorer has the following -
  • TCM - Transmission Control Module= Software Version: 2008-08-27
  • APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module= Software Version: v9
  • 4x4M - 4x4 Control Module= Software Version: v6
There are additional items that had software versions listed but didn't seem relevant to the overall/immediate performance of the vehicle (Occupant Classification System Module, Antilock Braking System, Restraint Control Module, Instrument Cluster, Satellite Digital Audio receiver System, Driver's Seat module, Parking Aid Module, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning, Audio Control Module, Generic Electronic Module / Smart Junction Box).

IF any of these are able to be updated and provide significance in driving performance then I'll definitely be interested in going in to ask for a complete upgrade on all items, including Sync. My guess would be that they would only charge for a single hour of labor?

Also, does anyone know if this is only able to be done at the Ford dealership? My immediate guess is that I can't go to my local mechanic down the street and ask him to perform software upgrades, or can I?

Thank you for any information you're able to provide!

Back