Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades for 4.6 V8 XLT 2003.

In other news, I have dropped a granatelli ingition system, granatelli underdrive pully set, and a granatelli MAFS under the hood....and while i have yet to have the engine dynod...i can easly see 320 HP at peek(witch is quite conservative) (Up from 280)..

Where are you getting those numbers from?!?!? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol ricer math minus about 20 HP from the total.

Id have it dynod, but there is currently ONLY ONE in town...and the guy is a dick(about 315 dollars a run!!!), so im going to wait till i am running some form of forced induction and then have him do a good custom tune.

lol ricer math minus about 20 HP from the total.

Id have it dynod, but there is currently ONLY ONE in town...and the guy is a dick(about 315 dollars a run!!!), so im going to wait till i am running some form of forced induction and then have him do a good custom tune.

If you just have boltons then you are VERY far off with your numbers.

lol

lol i guess ill let you be the judge of that as you know this engine probably better than i ever will, but it was STILL faster than my dads 2007 V8, so thats gotta count for somthing...but your certain that i couldnt be looking at a 40 hp gain from:

K&N intake
JBL Headers
Magnaflow cat back system with high flow cats installed all down the pipe
granatelli MAF
granatelli underdrive pully set 3pc
granatelli Pro-street ignition system fed through bosch 4 prong iridium sparks.
a polished throttle body
and a 90 octaine tune done local by a friend with a shop.

The lady at the this other place said that while they dont have any of these chargers in stock, but there is talk about allen engine coming back...so ill keep my fingers crossed....I know there isnt a chance of finding a drop in kit, but what kind of modding would it take to get a roots for the 4.6L f150 to work? nothing to extinsive? how about intercooler mounting?

lol i guess ill let you be the judge of that as you know this engine probably better than i ever will, but it was STILL faster than my dads 2007 V8, so thats gotta count for somthing...but your certain that i couldnt be looking at a 40 hp gain from:

K&N intake
JBL Headers
Magnaflow cat back system with high flow cats installed all down the pipe
granatelli MAF
granatelli underdrive pully set 3pc
granatelli Pro-street ignition system fed through bosch 4 prong iridium sparks.
a polished throttle body
and a 90 octaine tune done local by a friend with a shop.

With those mods you would be looking at right around 40 hp or so. Definitely not the 320 hp like you were mentioning though. The only mods that really gained you any real power were CAI, Headers, Catback, UDP's, and the tune. The other items probably netted less than 5 hp altogether. When doing multiple mods it is not as simple as adding all the manufacturers power gain ratings up to come out with the end power. Some mods, when done together, will have a slight canceling affect on the others power gains.

The lady at the this other place said that while they dont have any of these chargers in stock, but there is talk about allen engine coming back...so ill keep my fingers crossed....I know there isnt a chance of finding a drop in kit, but what kind of modding would it take to get a roots for the 4.6L f150 to work? nothing to extinsive? how about intercooler mounting?

Why not use something like this for a good starting point? http://www.blowbyracing.com/99saseivsu.html

There will be a little custom work involved but nothing too insane.

If you do end up getting this blower kit then take the price in the link above over to TexasHotRods.com and have them beat the price.

lol, i think you missunderstood. i was pretty sure i ADDED 40 hp, to get my engine to around 320 HP at peak, up from 280 hp....lol, no way in hell simple bolt ons added 320 pretty poneys.

what kind of custom work? just relocation? or am i looking at fabrication? im working the emails now.

lol, i think you missunderstood. i was pretty sure i ADDED 40 hp, to get my engine to around 320 HP at peak, up from 280 hp....lol, no way in hell simple bolt ons added 320 pretty poneys.

I know what ya meant. There is no way in heck that with your mods your are seeing anymore than probably around 270-280 hp in total. You are nowhere even close to seeing 320 hp in total. I don't want to burst anyones bubble here but your expected total power number of 320 hp at the crank is REALLY REALLY ambitious and just not even close to doable with the mods you have so far. Also, just curious but where do you get the initial 280 hp figure from? These engines are rated at 239hp in stock form, not 280.

what kind of custom work? just relocation? or am i looking at fabrication? im working the emails now.

The supercharger itself will bolt right onto your engine heads. The front drive accessories should line up more or less fine... As for such things as the intercooler heat exchanger and IC reservoir you will need to relocate those most likely. Depending on how the throttle linkage is set up on that s/c you may have to modify yours a little to properly fit it. You may have alternator fitment issues because the Explorer alternator is offset the opposite direction than the Mustang alt is. Worst case scenario you buy a Mustang alt with the wiring pigtail and swap your stocker one out. If you want to keep EGR then you will probably have to make a different tube or rebend the one you should get in the kit. I just eliminated mine when I did the Kenne Bell but I had further purposes for getting rid of it too. There might be a few more items I am missing but that is what you are looking at. Nothing really extreme like machining a whole new intake manifold from scratch.

as rocket stated you are no where near that. The 2v 4.6L the 3rd gen X's use are rated a 239hp @ the crank. So if you added 40hp you're right around 280hp @ the crank which is still 12hp less then the 4th gen X's that use the 3v V8 which is 292hp @ the crank. The only reason it probably seemed like you were faster is due to the fact you're tuned and you most deff have better throttle response and your engine can breathe better.

hmm

i see, i was mistaken in thinking that these engines were at 280HP at the wheels...No matter, ill do what i can to remedy that. the most agitating part of this whole thing is that there isnt a kit just made for the rig, so im kinda scurred (lol) about dropping 5 grand on a kit that i might not be able to make work anyways.

so, Ive gone ahead and started a search for a used kit online(to save money), and im probably going to go with the saleen, as there are a TON of those on ebay. Ill know in about two weeks what im going to do, ill do what i can to keep you posted.

I have another path id like to explore (lol no PUN intended). I was doing some reading and discovered that the 4.6 and 5.4 are practicaly the same engine, i was just wondering what the chances of dropping a 5.4 lightning block into my rig are? (My friend has a totaled one sitting in his back yard...its a 2003 as well)

so since my last post ive had a spark plug get shot out of my heads on cyl 6...am i going to see more of that when i go forced induction?...that was pretty expensive.

sounds like the plug hadn't been checked in years, why not just buy a Ford Motorsport blower off of a cobra mustang??
This is what I'm gonna do after New years when I can have the X off the road for a few weeks
Scotty

actualy i just put these in 3 months ago, just happened while i was driving down the road (not hard either), the guy at the shop told me it happens all the time...but ive never heard of it. I could drop a blower off of a cobra, if the manifolds are compatible, i BELIEVE the cobras are 4.6 DOHC 4 valve...so im not sure if they have the same manifold.

get a custon manifold or yours modified, or read the NEW 4.6ltr owners thread, maybe ensure the plugs have the correct washers fitted
Scotty

im going to just get the saleen kit as it comes with an acceptable manifold, and some custom work on the intake. and at worst like rocket said, ill just need a new alt, ill be getting mine in about two weeks or so.

excellent, can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck for this time
Scotty

well

ive found a suitable package for around 2 grand, just needs new oil and a cap for the intercooler res tank. im wondering in specific what else im going to need other than a new tune. im pretty sure im going to need a new intake pipe for the manifold, will a mustang CAI work? or is it going to be custom fab? ive found plenty of mustang alts that will be acceptable...so thats not an issue...i figured around $2800-3200 for the whole deal, and thats as follows. 2200 shipped for the unit itself,
200 for the alternator (new, or about 98 for a refab).
25-60 for the gaskits,
250 for mustang CAI
and 300-450 for a tune.

Correct me if im wrong.

Im also wondering what size pully im going to want to get me to around 350 hp, and similar tq specs. and if im going to start running into engine problems with this set up as im growning near to my 100,000 mile marker.

talk to a tuner about pulley size, they may have had experience and guide you down the right path in stead of the garden path
Scotty

true that is, im going to go to the guy in town with a dyno (there is only ONE!!!)...and see what hes going to run me for a dyno tune on my explorer, and ill also ask what size of pully ill need.

any help or experience on the other stuff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

true that is, im going to go to the guy in town with a dyno (there is only ONE!!!)...and see what hes going to run me for a dyno tune on my explorer, and ill also ask what size of pully ill need.

any help or experience on the other stuff?

Unless that tuner has specific experience with that particular kit then they will not know what pulley configuration equals a given amount of boost. Talk to Saleen or the retailer that you bought the kit from.

As for the total amount of boost you will be able to safely run with your stocker 4.6 engine? That will be around 9-10 psi on the stock bottom end, assuming you have the proper fuel upgrades like bigger injectors, and a Boost-a-Pump or other fuel pump upgrade. When I was relatively stock with just the Kenne Bell supercharger on my 03 I put down 400rwhp on 8.5 psi boost on an aggressive tune. Detuned it safely made 360rwhp. I could have ran more boost but didn't want to push it at that time. Remember that my numbers were a little higher due to the twin screw blower being more efficient than the roots is. If you run around 9-10 psi of boost expect to hit right around 360-380rwhp with your combo if you have the normal supporting mods for it. Even at that power level it will make for a fun street vehicle.

Back