Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrades on the '06 Super Duty tow rig

Also does anyone have any explanation for the price of biodiesel? The place by me is selling B99 for $4.66 when I can buy regular diesel for $4.09. B99 was 4.66 when diesel was 4.95 as well so I can't quite figure out if it's a pricing or mfg strategy. I'd switch over if it was less expensive and covered under warranty, from what I know you can only run a 5% blend.

Have you looked into running SVO? You have a big enough bed and lots of spare time :) so you could add a tank the the lines. You could carry a couple hundred gallons in the bed for long trips and it would only cost you the time it took to get the SVO and strain it. If you want to run it in winter you'll need to keep the SVO heated in the tank (run the coolant through it) but otherwise I've hear really good things about it.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a very economical alternative. $4k for the WVO system on the truck, about $500 for the heater and settling tanks and another couple hundred for collection tubs. The only problem that I have seen is finding a willing donor (restaurants and such) that would supply enough veggie oil to make it worth while.

Yes, I had researched WVO years ago, I have always stayed away due to the current warranty issues I've had with Ford, let alone taking it to the dealer powered on french fry oil.

Also recently "The Man" is making their way to locking down most local restaurants. When this fad started restaurants had a hassle of unloading this used oil, but like anything once it got popular businesses started up and are taking all of the WVO from these kitchens and processing it on their own and the average guy can't show up and take the fryer oil anymore.

If I were to do anything I would make my own bio that can be added to my current tank. I have researched this and it looks fairly simple if you have some time and a place to play Mr. Wizard. I wouldn't do it unless I would spend some time whipping up 100 gallons at a time. This would last me approximately 1 month and the price to make it yourself is approx $1.60 a gallon with an investment of about 2-3K to get started. Guessing $4 a gallon and investing $3k, break even is 1250 gallons. Is it worth it? probably. Am I going to do it? probably not.

If you can make your own for 1.60 I'm curious where the bio diesel guys get off charging $4.66. Are they taking advantage of tough times as well?

I for one think this economy needs to capitalize on these alternate diesel fuels, not for me (but it would be nice) but for the 18 wheelers. When their prices go up, we pay more for all of our goods.

probably one of the better sites I've read about alternative diesel fuels. http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

Just make sure that you get a screamin deal when you buy one and it will be worth it.

Thats my plan, i haven't checked the NADA value on the 03 i found but the 06 is valued at 30k retail and they asking 18.5k :D

Yeah diesels don't sell big out by me.

Evil Eye got me the OASIS reports (thanks again) and the 06 has only had a caliper lock up and the 03 has been in the shop multiple times (but expected the first few years of the new motor).

Will prolly swing out by and check out the 06 this Saturday, and depending on where the 03 is i'll stop out there tomorrow after school (prolly only a 10-15 min drive from school, 45ish from home.)

Just wanting to update my tow rig super hot chick magnet thread, my truck has officially gone over a year without being at the Ford dealer. The last time it went to the dealer I was told the alternator was bad. I replaced it with a pep boys alternator that crapped out after a few months. I decided to put my original Ford alternator back in and it's been running just fine for close to a year. Gotta love those "dealer tests" and that $591 alternator they tried to sell me before figuring out the real problem last night.

My tires are bald but I'm still running my Kuhmos down to the last bit of rubber before mounting up the Toyos I have waiting to get installed. I just may mount em up before the trip to Moab if I have time.

Only issue with the truck has been the compressor crapped out on my rear airbag system. I decided to run a backup setup of manual fill lines for the time being, if I can't rebuild the compressor I will likely replace it with something a little better if I can run an air tank underneath, perhaps with some hidden train horns.

I've always thought this was pretty trick for mounting air bag schroeder vavles, I didn't know it only takes about 5 minutes to install.

Attachments

• 0521091552.jpg
    0521091552.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,434

changed some things up, got a deal on some 18x10 wheels and some 38x15.5x18 Kuhmo tires, decided to take the 22s off and sell them.

Attachments

• 0408110759.jpg
    0408110759.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 483

Back