2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XL: DD/Tow Rig

I have found that here as well. I usually just keep right around 1800-2000 no need for any more that puts me at the 65 to 70 range.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A Very Cold Update

Thats right boys its COLD outside......

The F-250 is covered in snow and ice. The new tires and wheels are on. I found a really good deal on a good set of tires with wheels and I went for it. Had to have something to replace the slicks before winter.

F250Snow.jpg

However I am having a hard time starting when it is below 15 degrees.....What are you guys doing to get better starts when its cold.

If you have a block heater then plug that in. Else, assuming its not a cranking issue, then let the glow plugs warm up more by waiting another 10 or so seconds after the WTS (wait to start) light has gone off before cranking. Some ppl also cycle the glow plugss by turning em on for 30 seconds, off for a few seconds, on for another 30 and then finally crank. If the glow plugs still won't warm up, check the glow plug relay (GPR), located on top of the engine beside the fuel bowl. The GPR should click when the circuit closes (its a solenoid) - if not, jump its two big connectors with a screwdriver (or something) to bypass the GPR but only do this for like 30 seconds.

I always plug in as of now. It just seems to help but its just getting very cold.

I cycled the glow plugs this morning but I think my GPR is sticking and not working all the time. Some times its good and some time its very bad.

It seemed to start but acted like it did not have enough fuel. Started and spluttered out.

Hmm.. maybe look into the fuel bowl heater.

After a bunch of research today. I have found that to be a possibility.

Im going to get a new filter and give it a inspect at that time. How can I check the bowl heater tho?

The stancor is a tight fit, but is bolt in.
Posted via Mobile Device

Napa also has a continuous duty solenoid, off the top of my head, I think the part number is ST-36. But the cheap GPRs from advanced auto aren't bad either. The one in my van has yet to die. I did have one go sour on my last van though.

Fuel Filter Time

Well it was fuel filter time a few days ago and boy was that a mess. I am not even sure when the last time this bad boy was changed....

Dirty-Fuel-Filter-F250.jpg

Dirty Dirty Bowl

Dirty-Fuel-Bowl-F250.jpg

New Filter and a bottle of liquid inspiration...

New-Filter-F250.jpg

i was haveing some cold start issues. started checking around and with the 6.0 i have there is alot of sticking issues with the internals after alittle research and this link http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...otella-t-5-10w-30-you-will-probably-like.html i made the switch to the t-5 and havent had a problem since.

ohh and what a dirty fuel bowl you have. i have been changeing my filters every 3 oil changes little suckers arent cheap though dang diesels

Tommorrow will be the test. It is now cold out around the same temps where I was having starting issues.

Hopefully it was just so dirty that it was part of the problem. It has started great since the filter change.

17 degrees today and started very good. So that had to be part of the problem

Burns, I looked through this thread and never found an answer to if this was a 6.0 or 7.3. I know that 2002 was a boarder-line year, so it was possible to have either one depending on build date. I've been having hard cold starts with my new to me 2005 with the 6.0 diesel. I'm pretty sure it's my FICM (fuel injection control module) that and injector stiction seem to be the leading causes of hard cold starts on the 6.0. You can check the FICM by verifying the voltage on a pin under a cover on the top of the FICM. It should always be above 45v. Mine hovered around 30v when running, so I'm pretty sure thats what my problem is. It seems like solder joints cracking on the boards are pretty common.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This truck is the 7.3 and ever since I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the fuel bowl up it has been great. Only one hard start which was when I forgot to plug up the truck.

Back