Upper and lower pan gasket leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper and lower pan gasket leaking

lgmagone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I've had an oil leak for about 18 months on my Explorer. A shop tracked it down to the upper and lower oil pan gaskets. Lower one is not a big deal to change - about $300. The upper one is a problem - about $1100. An $1100 repair at this point is an end-of-life decision for the car, and means that I'll probably sell the car.

I don't have money for a replacement car right now, so I'm wondering how long can I keep driving the car with a bad upper pan gasket? Are these things that can last for years without a serious problem? I know that the leak has gradually been getting worse but I don't know if it is the lower pan or upper pan gasket that is getting worse.

Any suggestions that you can have as to what my options are would be great.

First you might want to get a second opinion. Next in theory as long as you keep oil in it , it should not hurt anything. I don't know how the upper pan is held in place but it would be worth while to take a look underneath and see if you can tighten any bolts and see if it helps.

But might be valve cover gaskets that are leaking and running down.

Bob T

The lower pan is a joke to change, 15 extra minutes when you do your next oil change and a 10 dollar gasket. The upper is a real pain, especially with a 4x4. You need to pull the motor mounts and lift the engine about an inch to clear the cross member. Real PITA. Try changing the lower and see if that clears it up. It could be the valve covers too, take a real good look a them.

Back