Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arms (for the seriously dropped)

PROJECT IS BACK ON!!!

i just took them to my machine shop, and the guy said there would be no problems cutting them to lengthen and then adding a sleeve over (see pic below). i know this sounds oh so ghetto, but he is confident that they will be even stronger than stock DJM arms. the sleeve will be D.O.M. tubing, which is stronger than the welded-seam that they are made of. he swears that it will not bend, flex, break, etc. and says its really no big deal at all. i trust him. i pick them up Monday afternoon, so Tuesday they go on the truck (again).

im having them lengthened 1" overall.

Attachments

• arms.jpg
    arms.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 506

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad things are back on track James, I can't wait to see how it turns out this time. Have you calculated the exact amount that the arms have to be lengthened in order to correct the camber? Is 1 inch going to be enough?

How much were the control arms? I've been welding on sub frames for the past 5 years. Welding sleeves on the control arm should be no problem for me.

Originally posted by Hartman
Have you calculated the exact amount that the arms have to be lengthened in order to correct the camber? Is 1 inch going to be enough?
basically, it was a SWAG*. one inch is doesnt sound like it, but really it is alot. as long as its in the ballpark, the cams will take care of the rest. if its not, then back to the machine shop. Ghost99- from what i remember they were around $180.

*SWAG- Scientific Wild Ass Guess

James, when are you installing your newly lengthened arms?

was gonna do it yesterday, but we had ice (very rare for this area). needed it together just in case. so far, it looks like Saturday is the day. ill post pics as soon as i can.

front is done. they work great. ive got 0 degrees camber with 4" of drop right now. gonna do the rear today. ill post pics in the next couple of days... im not using my crappy webcam this time.

i dont know how long i can wait on the coilovers. the ride is (as i figured) hideous.

sweet, do you have aftermarket shocks? cant wait for the pics, and glad it worked out!

i have the lowered Edelbroc's all 4 corners.

POST CRAPPY WEBCAM PICS AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

damn, hey get pictures of before and after of the wheel gap too! you could probably go another inch lower if you wanted to right? Ill be waiting pics anxiously

Ooooooooooooo pics.....

:D :D :D

Still waiting for pics............:rolleyes:

there coming guys, i promise.

12 hr. graveyard shift every day all week. dont have a decent digi cam, so only option is to take pics and develop them so i can scan 'em. right now i go to bed, get up and eat, and go to work. repeat. trust me, you will see it soon.

:bounce:

Man you're killing me...

:(

pics man, pics

FYI- i havent had a day off in the last 12 days (12 hour shifts). thats 144 hrs in 2 weeks, or about 72hrs a week. i said no webcam pics, but i know you guys are dying so here you go.

this is the last night i work, and then im off all weekend. i PROMISE i will have pics this weekend.

-4"

Attachments

• drop.jpg
    drop.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 453

OMG drool. Looks so badass James. Did you get the blocks in as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup. had to cut the blocks down from 4" to about 3.5". with super tiny .25" rear bumpstops, the axle was about an inch away from them. this is what i observed on the rear-

2"-fine

3"-ok, maybe need mini-C if you wanna tow

3.5"-occasionally bottoms, not often, should get a mini-C but liveable without if bumpstops are cut down to nothing

4"-you will HAVE to have a notch. no ifs, ands, or buts about it. if you ran no bumpstops at all, the axle would be about an inch away from the frame. maybe less.

Back