Utility trailer built from B2 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utility trailer built from B2

I've got this wild idea on making a small utility trailer for my chopped top Bronco2. Since there's hardly no room in the bed due to my 33" spare tire mounted back there on the cage. I'm giving it some thought on making one out of another matching Bronco 2 :confused: Maybe like cutting it in half at the pillar behind the door. Enclosing it off. Them skinning over all side glass and rear hatch glass with metal. Leave the rear hatch operable. And also rear axel. Then extending frame to a point with hitch. I have not even looked at another B2 to see if it is even feasible.
I know you guys have seen some old hot rods with matching trailer towed behind.
I know it would not hold much, but should be great for camping gear, hunting and fishing and even hauling home the venison. Could even put same matching stars and stripes paint job on it like the B2. Small roof cage even.
Has any one ever seen this done to a B2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow - great balance!

Do you think your tongue-mounted tool box give you enough tongue weight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow - great balance!

Do you think your tongue-mounted tool box give you enough tongue weight?

Thanks for the compliment Scott. I did a little research and found that about a 40/60 split. With 60 on the tongue. Right now with out the crank down jack stand or heavy steel tool box. And you were holding the hitch a few degrees below center it would fall down, but if you hold it a few degrees above center, it will fall back wards on it's bumper :eek:. So with out a dout it will have the right ratio with tool box.
This was my biggest concern when starting the build. And that's why I went with the 4" channel as opposed to the 3" like a lot of small utility trailers have. I'm going to put those flip down or screw down stands in the rear on both sides also, just like the campers have. Don't need this thing flipping over on the bumper when crawling in or out while camping.
Just a thought. Could even back this little trailer in the bushes, cover with some kind of drab tarp and use for a Redneck deer stand during some of those really cold and windy days. It would not take much of a heater inside to keep you toasty. Of course the rear hatch would be open for fresh air. Also I really don't like shooting thru any windows :eek: I'm serious.
Another reason I'm busting my a$$ to get this ready before deer season. Not so much for the stand thing but to haul all my gear and may just use as a small camper with an attaching tent that fastens to opened hatch. I've seen them somewhere?
I must admitt, this is one of the most fun projects I've ever done. Just as long as I'm hacking and slashing on something :hammer:

Thanks for your concern on the tongue weight.

If I recall correctly, you want 10% of the overall trailer weight as tongue weight - too little, and it fishtails (a scary time when I was helping a friend move!), but too much (within reason) doesn't really seem to be a problem. My boat trailer probably has 20% tongue weight - other than being a PITA to put it on the truck, there have not been any problems.

For your deer stand, how about building a rack for the roof, and sit up there! You know, like the buses folks take to the races!

As long as your tow vehicle can handle it, and not pull the front tires, tongue weight is a good thing- I once pulled a tandem axle trailer with some heavy stuff on it, had two or 3 stops to make. After the first stop, the trailer was too heavy in the back, I didn't realize it until I got going. The trailer first got to swaying, then started pulling the rear of the truck from side to side :eek: Brakes made the situation worse, all I could do is let off the gas, steer to correct the sway and let it slow down on its own. I lost a portion of my load, had to retrieve it and clean out my pants. From that day on, I always like tongue weight.

I saw your video and without more tongue weight, like say your tool box with stuff in it, I'd suspect you'll have problems with sway.

If I recall correctly, you want 10% of the overall trailer weight as tongue weight - too little, and it fishtails (a scary time when I was helping a friend move!), but too much (within reason) doesn't really seem to be a problem. My boat trailer probably has 20% tongue weight - other than being a PITA to put it on the truck, there have not been any problems.

For your deer stand, how about building a rack for the roof, and sit up there! You know, like the buses folks take to the races!

Ya, I have plans for a roof rack made just like the one I did for my B2. Now just to find a used Lazy Boy Recliner to put up there :D

Thanks for all the safety concerns of the tongue weight guys and your much appreciated comments :salute:.
Also I going to shift gears and combine this thread with my Build thread over on the Bronco site.
Check out the latest pics of trailer and Bronco over there.

Back