Uwharrie 2023 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, still hopeful to make it, but I may be missing out this time. Work opens in a few weeks if all goes well, and they expect it to be a real busy summer, so the chances I get the time off is slim. Still trying, but I ain't sure, plus I'm not sure I'll have the tires and all by then either, meaning it won't be road trip worthy. Things ain't exactly been as planned so upgrades and repairs been slower than planned, I'll keep ya posted though @DintDobbs as we get closer, if not, I expect to see plenty of pictures and trail runs!! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@DemonMudder Noted. Once you know for sure, I'll edit the list of participants accordingly.

10-4, I'll keep ya posted on updates once we get closer
Yeah, sadly I'm going to go ahead and say count me out this year. Need to plan another trip, maybe later this year or next year, got way too much going on now, plus I cant get the time off anyway. Y'all take plenty of pictures for me though!

@DemonMudder Updated list of participants to reflect. Too bad, but there's always a next time!

Hope things level out soon for you; I know how hectic things can get, and I also know it's not fun playing catch-up constantly but never actually catching up. Best of luck!

@DemonMudder Updated list of participants to reflect. Too bad, but there's always a next time!

Hope things level out soon for you; I know how hectic things can get, and I also know it's not fun playing catch-up constantly but never actually catching up. Best of luck!
Thanks! Tell me about it, least it ain't so much truck issues that keep popping up, other than the gas I'm killing with my second job, just busy with other crap that keeps coming up, though in the end it'll probably be good for me. Looking forward to the next trip, least I may be a tad closer by then! And have an actual X to bring maybe...but as said, want to see plenty of pictures and videos from the trip if it ain't too much trouble!

Updated list of prospective participants.

As we near the date, anybody else interested had better decide for sure!

Tow rig is ready to rip, these new tires rock. Maxxis Razr AT is quite an aggressive tread, but not loud or clumsy on road. Great on sand, too!

One more week, people! Anybody interested had better make arrangements!

Some pics from the trip! @DannyW Feel free to upload photos and videos here, for the boyos to check out!

20230714_144836.jpg

Unloading at the spot.

20230714_150432.jpg

@DannyW 's rig, parked just uphill from mine.

20230714_182138.jpg

Goofing around the camp site.

20230714_161825.jpg

The view out back.

20230715_055724.jpg

Made a solo run through Wolf Den in the dark, and parked up at the Falls Dam trail head to watch the sun rise in the fog.

20230715_084435.jpg

The five rigs that made the trip.

20230715_102128.jpg

Regroup after descending Dicky Bell, except...

20230715_102811.jpg

...one of our goup stopped to jump a Chevy that climbed up while we were coming down.

20230715_133301.jpg

@DannyW's rig on Poser Rock.

I didn't get pics of my rig on Poser Rock, but I believe one of the group did. Those pics are welcome here if you have them (if ya don't mind blocking the tag number).

The fog shot was quite a cool one! Looks like y'all certainly had fun! A lot less showed up than I expected

@DemonMudder Yeah, we figured about half of 'em would bail before the actual run started, so I wasn't surprised.

I think everybody dented, broke, or at least bashed something. I haven't had the chance to inspect The Vulture yet to see if anything expensive happened, but DannyW's rig overheated, Rust Problem's F-150 broke a few motor mounts and spit out some power steering fluid, aka.Kletus' F-150 lost a few skid plate bolts, and JJbyrd's Jeep snagged a rock with the left rear wheel.

@DannyW According to Rust Problem, I caught some air time on the front, the second time we ran #69 (the one not on the map). I couldn't tell if the front came off the ground at all when we ran Wolf Den the day before.

Dad gum, bunch of damage there, maybe it's best I didnt go afterall, much as I wanted to, rather be able to get the rig all the back home down south lol

Hopefully the vulture ain't too bad

Dad gum, bunch of damage there, maybe it's best I didnt go afterall, much as I wanted to, rather be able to get the rig all the back home down south lol

Hopefully the vulture ain't too bad
It was all trivial damage. I figured my overheating issue on the way home. Of all things it was just a bad radiator cap dumping at almost no pressure. :/

AKA.jpg

@aka.kletus
dintdobbs.jpg

@DintDobbs
jjbyrd.jpg

@jjbyrd
me.jpg

@DannyW
niteshot.jpg

Me & Patrick Saturday night on Wolf Den
riverside.jpg

Early Friday morning at the river - 3 nice channel cats...

@DannyW Nice! Yeah, I'd consider all of that to be insignificant damage too. My folks passed you on 109 yesterday, I left my trucks at their place and was riding with them.

@DemonMudder You would have high-centered for sure on some of those trails, ha ha! The Vulture didn't take any real damage, although I did observe that the left rear spring pack is sagging... again. Whatever. I guess it just can't be helped.

This trip needs to happen again!

@DannyW Nice! Yeah, I'd consider all of that to be insignificant damage too. My folks passed you on 109 yesterday, I left my trucks at their place and was riding with them.

@DemonMudder You would have high-centered for sure on some of those trails, ha ha! The Vulture didn't take any real damage, although I did observe that the left rear spring pack is sagging... again. Whatever. I guess it just can't be helped.

Yeah it probably wouldn't have been too bad, beyond probably getting high centered for sure lol
Maybe it's time for some different leafs as a whole? Like a full set of f150 leafs made to fit or something, may take longer to sag out

We will def do this again, but NEVER in July again! I'm thinking like September-ish when it's a bit cooler. Whew! 99 deg is too much for me.

Also, we were a bit late leaving Sunday, then while airing / fueling up at Eldorado I noticed a trail of fluid behind Patrick's truck. Seams he rubbed a rock somewhere and made a weak spot on the trans cooler line to the radiator. So, a trip to Troy for a tubing cutter and compression fitting and we finally got going.

Back