V-8 Conversion Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V-8 Conversion Question

What is the difference between the 5.0 engines that are in the Crown victoria, Thunderbird, F-150, and Mustang?? Are they all the same block, just different intakes? Is there one that is better fitting to use in a ranger?
These topics I was not able to get from reading some of the posts.

Thanks,
Al
asp84@earthlink.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only difference is if the engine is fuel injected it is a little different to accept the mech fuel pump. If it is serpentined belted then the water pump is a reverse rotation type.

I am not competely sure of the differences but it is a start.

Also, I believe that teh 5.0L in a Stang has more HP.

Engine interchange

The difference in motors are as follow:

'87-'93 Mustang, '87-92 Mark VII, has truck heads, 60mm throttle, larger upper intake,roller cam to match other components, 225hp ('94-'95 Mustang similar but has lower style intake)

'87-'88 T-bird, '87-'90 Crown Vic, car heads, 56mm throttle, small upper intake, flat tappet cam in most, roller in new engines, 165hp to 190hp

any injected Truck 5.0L, truck heads, flat tappet cams in early engines, hugh unuseable intake, truck only water pump and timing cover, 190hp

the best accessories to use are one of the following, '87-'93 Mustang, '94-'95 Mustang or '96-99 Explorer

This is just some quick info but there is a lot more and a couple engine not even mentioned like Cobra or older carbed stuff. I hope this a good start anyway

One engine I failed to mention would be the Explorer 5.0L which has GT-40 or GT40P heads, GT-40 style intake with 90 degree bend at throttle for clearance and hedders that fit with out mods. This engine with an '89 Mustang MAS computer and wire and an E303 cam would be good for 260hp or better.

Also the best electronics to use are the '89-'93 Mustang computer and wiring. Less emissions controls and better spark and fuel curves.

all the engines are different the blocks are the same but all the long block assembly is differrent. the explorer uses lightning heads, van throttlebody, not sure about the intake but as you see ford uses parts from different vehicles to save money. the best engine would be froma explorer because of the short front accessories because a ranger is pretty much the same as a explorer
or get a stang motor and put explorer accesorries on it.
many companies make kits for ehast you are planning to do

firing order

the obvious has been missed because the mustang and mark vII have the HO which is the same order as the 351. ford found this firing order to put less stress on the thrust bearings

the cam is what makes this order different, while esentially the same block go for the HO mustang motor from 85-up

Back