V6 vs. V8 in gas mileage?

Shortfin

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Haven't bought it yet
Hi,

Interested in a V8 but have a couple of questions.

1. What is the difference in gas mileage?
2. I plan to tow a boat allot with it. Will the V8 out live a V6 engine?

Over all will I be happier with the V8 ?

I’m looking at getting a 1997 Ford Explorer.

Any info would be great.

It's not so much a matter of the V8 outlasting the V6. I would venture to say that a properly maintained later model OHV (not sure on the SOHC long-term) will last just as long or longer than the 5.0 V8. It's the transmission that will suffer from towing. The 4R70W tranny that comes with the V8 is a strong, full size truck transmission with a wide ratio gearset that will hold up much better during towing. Also, the V8 does have considerably more torque than both V6 engines and will run away from them on uphill grades and when towing.

If two explorers are similarly equipped, one being a V8 and one being a V6, there will be about 1 MPG difference in favor of the V6. Not a big difference at all.

GPM Depends - and watch out, you're going to get a ton of responses on this! Per EPA, the V8 only gets one mpg difference, and that's lower. But oh well, the performance difference, especially with towing a boat, is well worth it!

Get a V8 - better response to mods, will last forever, will tow itself + 1000lbs.

But, if you plan to do SERIOUS off-roading/rock-crawling - there's no 4LOW. I have the V8 and love the AWD, but I don't do any serious off-roading.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

Ry.

Dead Link Removed

This is a looooooong thread where a lot of people discuss the mileage they get. I think the conclusion is that you may get better mileage with the V8 depending upon how you drive.

Back