• Register Today It's free!

V8 Conversion to Eddie Bauer

TJPaul

Reaction score
City, State
Tijuana, Baja, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hi, im new on this forum, and this is the first 4x4 i have, usually i was around road racers, so bear with me on this, i have little knowledge about this topic, the question i have is, since i live in mexico, and i dont need the EFI, can i drop a v8 Carbureted 5.0 engine on a 91 Eddie Bauer?, what kind of trans does it has, i have an AOD from a Lincoln, is it really difficult to adapt it and still reatin the 4x4?, the engine is shot on the Explorer, so i need a new one anyway, are the trans from the Explorer and the AOD, the same, do they interchange?, my engine has a pair of GT-40 Heads, Performer RPM Intake, Holley Carb, FRPP E303 Cam, is it too much for the Explorer?, should i just stay with a rebuild 4.0? i know that there are too many questions, hope to find a solution for this. AND IF NOT, can i MAKE IT A 2WD? i dont really use the 4x4 much, so i just wish to have it with the v8, if not, is it really difficult to install the 302/aod swap?

Thanks Again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

transmissions do not interchange, not even close

Yes you can put a carbed 5.0L and AOD in there.
Yyes you can convert it to 2wd but you will need to rip out the front TTB axle
to me this is a waste, you are better off starting with a 2wd truck.

You need to do a search, you are about the 6,700 person to ask these questions.
The 5.0L conversion into rangers and Explorer's has been done in every possible way!

Good luck!

The AOD to work in that carbureted 302 needs special attention for the TV circuit(throttle valve). The TV cable must exist, it must be used, and it must be adjusted properly, at the time of startup. Without the proper TV circuit, the trans will burn up immediately, period.

Do not start with an AOD from anything less than a Mustang 302(88-93), or a Lincoln LSC(88-92). Those are strong enough, all other applications have weaker internals. Later AODE parts can be substituted, and should be if available.

Your carburetor will not have the required AOD TV connection. You can buy an adapter cable, which will require removal and fabrication of the throttle shaft. Good luck,

You can also run the TV cable from the gas pedal can you not?
People who use car based AOD's in the Explorer are often not happy with the results, ie 4500# SUV with car gearing...

Just to piggy-back a question here... If I used an AOD from a 1988 EFI F-150 on my ex, all I should require is the tailshaft adapter, right? Being out of a 1/2 ton truck, I am sure it is sturdy enough. And pardon my ignorance, but would this tranny have a TV cable being EFI? I just don't know... the only carbed stuff I have owned had manual trannies. L8r!

Brutus93,

Yes, the f150 AOD is set up to use a TV cable, but you need to decide what kind of intake you use. That will dictate if you use a Mustang cable or truck cable etc.

The tailhousing is from Advance Adapters $400+
You need to totally dissassemble your tranny to install the new output shaft for it.

Car based (88 Lincoln) AOD works just great for me! Yes, the AOD-E has lower first gear, but I'm not into drag racing my truck, and in low range 4x4, it'd be hard to notice the difference. Besides, with a 351 under hood, it's all power anyway!

To easily make a 4x4 a 4x2, disconnect and remove the front drive shaft!
Leave the TTB alone, don't need a transfer case adapter = much easier and cheaper conversion.

Back