V8 engine / motor cover added to an 04 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 engine / motor cover added to an 04

Curtis

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT 4x4
My dads 02 has it, but my 04 doesn't. Apparently Ford stopped putting them on in 04.

So for the last year Ive been watching a cover for the 4.6 V8 explorers on eBay. Seller kept re-listing it as it would never sell. Partly because they said they would not ship. The price would fall every time it was re-listed.
Finally they added shipping, and I bought it for $9.99 with $14.99 shipping.

Its from an 02 or early 03. I can tell because there is no cut out for the oil filler tube. It was on the drivers side for 02 and early 03. Late 03 and up it was moved to the passenger side.

So I had to make a cut so it would clear the oil filler tube. I used a coping saw and it turned out pretty good.

Here's pics with and without.

I don't have it mounted yet cause it didn't come with the hardware. When I figure something out I'll post a write up here. Maybe I'll go to Ford to see what the original bolts cost..

I think it dresses up the engine a lot. I really just looks like a mess of wires and tubes without it.

Without...
10Before.jpg

With...
11After.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does make it look a lot cleaner, but don't you think it might get annoying to take off each time you need to service something under it?

There are only 4 small bolts that hold it on. Then lifts off. Its not much too it to remove it.
Plus the truck doesn't require that much maintenance that would make it a PITA
I guess subconsciously I want my explorer to be just like Dads :D

Maybe you could paint it and make it look even better.... o0o..

that is a cool idea.
Although my explorer is black too.
I did think about adding a contrast color to the calipers, tow hooks etc and it could be cool to do the engine cover too. :thumbsup:

Take the V8 emblem off and put the Mustang horse:p

my 03 V8 has the cover, but doesnt have the "4.6L SOHC" logo.... go figure....

my cover is held on by 2 bolts and 2 hooks.

Thats cool man, never thought about it!

my 04 doesnt have an engine cover either, never gave it any thought.
I would have removed it at the dealership before i bought it, if it came with a cover!

Id rather look at the intake and throttle and everything else, i like to see whats going on with EVERYTHING when i pop the hood.

Its easy to just pop the hood and do a quick inspection!

Plus i like just getting mud all over the engine! wooo!!!!

The 02's and 03's have the cover because they use throttle cables still and if there was no cover, you could operate the throttle with your hands. The 04+ uses throttle by wire so there is no way you could operate the throttle with your hands. (just a little FYI for you guys ;))

The 02's and 03's have the cover because they use throttle cables still and if there was no cover, you could operate the throttle with your hands. The 04+ uses throttle by wire so there is no way you could operate the throttle with your hands. (just a little FYI for you guys ;))

So it wasn't just a money saving gimmick on the part of Ford!
There is no need for it.

Mine doesn't have it either, but I just thought it had been taken off at some stage and "lost". Good to know it's not missing - it never had one!

Back