• Register Today It's free!

V8 Engine Swap

knee deep 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
kittanning Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 sport
I have a 1993 ford explorer sport with 7 inches of lift powered by the 4.0 liter pushrod v6 & the 5 speed mazda transmission. I have a strong 302 carburated engine out of a 1970's ford van that I would like to swap into my explorer. Is it possible to do so using the original mazda 5 speed transmission & borg warner transfer case & if so how can I do so as well as where would I find the adapters for use with the mazda transmission.....If not what would be my best manual transmission & transfercase alternatives to use with this 302...............any information on this please contact me here or at nemesisofthegenerator@yahoo.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start looking for a manual trans and transfer case (auto or manual depending on yours) out of a F150 or full size bronco. The Mazda Trans will not bolt up that I'm aware of and I don't think it will handle the torque very well either. I'm not sure what years to look for. I would think anything before about 1993 or so. I'm sure someone here would be able to tell you what exactly to look for.

no
MAzda 5 speed go boom
also 5.0L = 90 degree block
4.0L = 60 degree block
bellhousings completely different

When you think "V8 engine swap" from now on think of it as "V8 drivetrain conversion"

5 speed behind a carbed 302 you have many choices
transfer case choice will depend on your 5 speed choice

You should try a search on this forum, this question basically comes up every single day :)

Welcome and sounds like a nice truck

no
MAzda 5 speed go boom
also 5.0L = 90 degree block
4.0L = 60 degree block
bellhousings completely different

When you think "V8 engine swap" from now on think of it as "V8 drivetrain conversion"

5 speed behind a carbed 302 you have many choices
transfer case choice will depend on your 5 speed choice

You should try a search on this forum, this question basically comes up every single day :)

Welcome and sounds like a nice truck

I retract my previous post...I should have said: PM 41Fortune; He knows everything.

NO you are right, when you want a 5 speed behind a SM ford in your Ex the F-150/Bronco drivetrain is the place to look
problem is those 5.0L's put out about as much power as your OHV 4.0L
and adapting the clutch system can be a PITA

The lower oiling system is better in the 4.0 to from what I've been told.

Back