• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap

smoke8169

Reaction score
City, State
austin
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport 2wd 4.0 OHV
Hi Everybody I've been doing a lot of searching but haven't found a clear answer to my question. I am doing v8 swap into my sport. I have a complete doner vehicle.
Donor truck Is a 96 and my truck is a 99.
I understand everything but I do have a wiring question. Can I remove my 4.0 OHV harness all the way to the 3 bulkhead connectors on the firewall and plug in the 96 5.0 harness in those 3 bulkhead connectors hook everything back up and be good to go for the most part . If not which wires do I need to move around.

Thanks for your time and input.

i dont think you even have to go that far. however, you will have problems with the fuel system and also have to do a lot of re pinning to make the rest of the wiring work

Hi Everybody I've been doing a lot of searching but haven't found a clear answer to my question. I am doing v8 swap into my sport. I have a complete doner vehicle.
Donor truck Is a 96 and my truck is a 99.
I understand everything but I do have a wiring question. Can I remove my 4.0 OHV harness all the way to the 3 bulkhead connectors on the firewall and plug in the 96 5.0 harness in those 3 bulkhead connectors hook everything back up and be good to go for the most part . If not which wires do I need to move around.

Thanks for your time and input.
Hello,Smoke
Not sure about how much of the harness will have to be changed, but you may have issues with the vehicle speed sensor.
If I remember correctly the 96 uses a generator in the back of the trans transfer case.The 99 should be in the rear diff, and tied in to the ABS system. Also I think the 99 and up 5.0 Explorers have different sensors for the crank sensors than the earlier 5.0`s.

Dan.

I have a 99 explorer sport and I am looking to drop a carbed 302 in it but I don't know if there is a difference between the explorer 5.0 and the older 5.0 mounts

Back