Vacuum Leaks, P0171,P0303,P0305 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Leaks, P0171,P0303,P0305

carboy400

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
What its doing and what I've done.
I have a '98 Eddie Bauer explorer with the SOHC 4.0L. It has 150K and is currently logging a DTC of P0171 and P0303 and P0305. This is narrowed down from 15 codes when I bought it. I have checked all the obvious and replaced anything wrong ie... Upper and lower intake, EGR gasket and valve, Repaired a broken vac line at the purge valve, Plug wires and Plugs. The truck runs and starts but misses badly at idle and has recently taken to stalling at idle.
Engine specs
Currently the motor pulls 17in-Hg with a slowly fluctuating needle. Compression is (dry/wet)#1 - 130/140, #2 - 140/143, #3 - 150/151, #4 - 125/145, #5 - 140/155, #6 - 130/140. Fuel pressure 30psi at idle and 40psi at 2000rpm. All the injectors ohm out at 17.3 to 17.8 ohms.
Suspect areas
I currently have three areas suspect.
#1. I can not get a vacuum reading at the EGR at higher rpm but can pull and hold vacuum in this circuit ie.. hand pump at one end and vac gauge at the other. I can also bypass the EGR solenoid and activate the EGR valve. I am supposed to get less than 1.8in-Hg at idle and am not getting a reading. I checked the EGR vac solenoid coil resistance and get 36 ohms also I can apply vacuum to the EGR source port with the supply port plugged and hear the vent bleed off fairly quickly. QUESTION IS! Why don't I have vacuum at the EGR? Is it related the the EGR vac solenoid?
#2. When I apply vac to the circuit going to the purge canister It will not hold, I would assume these are supposed hold vac, it bleeds off pretty quickly. I can remove the fitting and put a hand pump on one end and vac gauge on the other and pull vac and hold it. QUESTION IS! Is the purge valve supposed to hold vac? or is it like the EGR vac solenoid and vent to atmosphere?
#3. DPFE valve, (would like to go through that when I have a scanner that can see PID values).Other more insidious vacuum leak like cracked manifold or PVC leak (kicking my self for not just replacing it when I had the manifold off).

I would love some input on these items. I do know a lot about vehicle diagnoses but am very new to Ford and this motor. So if more info is needed please ask and I will either get the info for you or look at you stupid. i know I have a vacuum leak but need help in knowing where to look. Next on the list of things to do is a leak down test as I, really don't want it to be but, think it could be a bad valve in each cylinder misfiring.

Found bad coil tower on #5 and severally clogged injector on #3. Replaced with junk yard injector and new coil and it drives like it should.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No EGR at idle

The PCM disables EGR at idle since it impacts a smooth idle. The PCM also disables EGR at or near WOT since it impacts performance. I think there should be a vacuum reading when the engine is warmed up and running at 2,000 rpm in Park. Did you use a "T" to measure the vacuum between the EVR and EGR valve? If you just connected the gauge to the output of the EVR with the EGR valve hose disconnected the PCM would realize the EGR valve was nonfunctional and disable EGR.EGR System O&T

P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)

Did you check the semi-rigid hose that goes to the vacuum reservoir bulb located below the air filter enclosure? Also, the ventilation/heater controls could be leaking vacuum. Your 1998 probably has the variable intake system (VIS) with a vacuum control solenoid and a vacuum motor to change the length of the intake runners. There is a vacuum reservoir for VIS. I believe the vacuum controlled fuel pressure regulator receives vacuum from the passenger side of the intake manifold. You can check the FPR for a vacuum leak with your hand vacuum pump.

you must check crank sensor and ring make sure no teeth are missin and check injectors most likely injector 3 and 5 bad

Well I've finished looking for a vacuum leak and have started to look else where. I scanned the truck and am getting no VSS signal so I'm gonna start with that. Also it codes the lean condition first so I'm going to swap O2's side-to-side and see if the sensor is the cause or that side of the motor.

Put in four new o2 sensors but still the same. I'm gonna smoke test it this week.

Back