• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum line question

westfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
On my 94 explorer. On the vacuum line tree, drivers side rear of engine, is one of the vacuum ports supposed to be capped off.????
car was running rough in hissing...I capped it because I could not find any loose vac wires by it...it's running fine now...so is one supposed to be capped? I could not tell by the diagrams..Thanks !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

simple answer is yes.....

It's common for them to blow a cap off also.

If everything works, then I wouldn't worry about it, was prob just a cap that blew off...

If something stops working (breaks, trans shifting, Cruise control) then your missing a hose somewhere...

No other way to really be 100% sure.

lol this drives me nuts! i have two of them capped because they blew off but i wish there was a diagram or a picture or someone who knew where all of those damnd hoses went!

lol this drives me nuts! i have two of them capped because they blew off but i wish there was a diagram or a picture or someone who knew where all of those damnd hoses went!

Problem is, it's different on every truck more or less. It all depends on year/package loadout and what the PO's have done. Really, it doesn't even seem that the same hoses go to the same ports on the tree all the time even on trucks that have the same trim package.... there are some general rules of thumb, but no 100% known rules

yeah the two that popped off seem to cause no harm after i plugged them
hopefully its nothing important ac and heat works although the one vacuum line that goes to the big black cylinder shaped thing to the right spits some oil out of it and causes an burning smell when it drops down on the engine that i cant stand, as you can tell im new to this but i know some of the basics i managed to do my wheel bearings, rotors and clean out my carb and MAS. but theres not to much info on this from my searings on here and google

On my '94, with all the options it's like this:
On the rear of the tree, at the firewall, there are three lines. One goes to the FPR, one goes to the "T" for the the lines at the "big black cylinder", and the third goes to the EGR solenoid. From the EGR solenoid, it goes to the EGR valve. The one large one goes to the cruise control, and the last large one is capped off. Hope this helps.

heres a pic you can see i capped one with the end of a vacuum plug and a screw in the vacuum plug the other i had a real plug laying around

tree1s.jpg

Back