valve cover options for 5.0L explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

valve cover options for 5.0L explorer

soon2b351

Reaction score
City, State
whoopa$$ michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 expedition 2 door
i started cleaning up my stock valve covers today... that was a waste of time. sooo...... rather than even bother trying to salvage these rusty Ps O S, i thought id drop in here and ask what others are using for valve covers, first off, im using the 1.7 roller rockers, so clearance is obviously an issue, i thought about cleaning up a pair of fox mustang aluminum covers, even though i would have to fabricate the tabs for the spark plug wire separators, not a big deal, before i do that, i wanted to ask what everyone else is using, obviously the valve covers are well hidden, so i may just hit the yard and see if i can find a better pair of stock covers, or look for a nice pair on ebay, any way, anyone using covers other than stock ?

You'd need to re arrange the vent and oil fill, as most 302 valve covers are on the wrong sides. The driver side valve cover should be sealed. The oil fill is on the passenger side with the vent.

If you try to use the mustang type aftermarket covers, you'll find you have a hole right next to the egr, and this needs to either be plugged, or made into a vent. It's tight at best back there.

Then, the oil fill being right on the valve cover to the driver side of engine is tough to hit even with a funnel.

You can look for "ford efi truck" valve covers. make sure the holes are up front on the pssenger side, to the rear on the driver side, or better yet, a sealed driver side cover. Keep in mind the crank case vent needs to be metered ( the air must pass through the maf)

Fel pro makes a 3/16" thick "cork lam" gasket. You might get some and check clearance with the stockers.

I can blast em to bare metal and powdercoat them to make them look pretty good.

Or you can get Turdle to powdercoat you're OEM covers like I did. Holding up great after 3 years.

my OEM covers are junk. i beat all the rust off the LH side today to blast it, and well there wasnt much left to blast. i have a pair of the fox mustang aluminum covers, they have the oil fill in the correct location, just may have to be "massaged" a bit, i may end up going that route, for one i already have them and for two they dont look half bad when cleaned up

Back