Ventilated Seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ventilated Seats

The fan noise isn't obvious while driving. The motor and road noise will drown it out. Just poke your head down under the driver's seat while the ventilated seats are running, and you should hear it. Cycle them on and off.

Both my driver and passenger seats make the same whine. I'm ****, so I hear it. Now, it's possible my fans are just bad and particularly noisy. It might explain why my butt disables one of them. But, I'd be shocked if anyone has electric fans that make NO noise at all.
On one of my previous Explorers I even put my ear down next to the seat and didn't hear it running. Never noticed them on my Aviator this past Winter either. I do know that others have heard them.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm, ok, well y'alls observations are helpful. Will keep open the possibility that maybe my fans / fan modules are bad and aren't supposed to make noise at all - or at least quiet enough not to be heard - and need to be replaced. Interested in hearing what others experience. Thanks guys!

Every vehicle I've owned with heated/cooled seats have had module failures at some point in the first 5 years of ownership. That includes a 2003 Infiniti, 2010 MKZ, 2013 MKZ.

I am convinced mine are not working as designed. I can hear the fun running but I can barely feel any cooling. Took it to the dealer and they stated they are working fine. Very disappointed. Not sure it’s worth the fight to convince them that it should be more noticeable. I understand that the design is different this year but you should feel some difference when it’s on.

Hmmm, ok, well y'alls observations are helpful. Will keep open the possibility that maybe my fans / fan modules are bad and aren't supposed to make noise at all - or at least quiet enough not to be heard - and need to be replaced. Interested in hearing what others experience. Thanks guys!
Had a chance to try the cooled seat tonight and I did hear the fan. Not very loud. Had to turn the radio and HVAC fan off to verify the sound.

Peter

Peter- just curious. Did the seats have noticeable cooling when you tried them?

Peter- just curious. Did the seats have noticeable cooling when you tried them?
They didn't really get a chance to do much as it was only about a 2 minute drive from an unexpected trip to the vet. Even though it was a very short drive, I did begin to start feeling some cooling in both the cushion and back of the seat. It is supposed to go to 95 degrees with a humidex reading of around 110 today and tomorrow. I'll update if I get a chance to try them out again.

Peter

Bumping this one rather than starting a new thread.
With what feels like a month of >100* days, mine get used daily. But, it's like an asthmatic with a straw trying to move the air.
Our 2018 Expedition has a noticeable change when the seat coolers are on. The Explorer, you can just barely feel/hear it.
Will be adding this to my list of things I need to get it in the shop for, while still under warranty.

2020 ST's owner's manual refers to the seats as ventilated, not cooled. I live outside of Phoenix and we just went through a month of 110 degree days. The seat fans help, but they do not blow cold.

As Rick said, there are fans in the seats that pull cabin air past your body and through the seat. Cooling is due to evaporation from air moving past your skin and is a function of how cold and dry the cabin air is. There is no connection to the A/C system to blow cold air through the seat. I think they work pretty well, but I live in Los Angeles where the temperatures aren't too extreme... yet.

I get that, but there is almost no perceptible difference between high & off on mine.
In our Expedition, it's very noticeable when they're on.

I get that, but there is almost no perceptible difference between high & off on mine.
In our Expedition, it's very noticeable when they're on.
In my Aviator, you can tell when they are on (level 2 or 3) (well, more like you can tell you are warmer when they are off) But my complaint is how noisy they are!

Mine aren't noisy at all. In fact, I don't even notice them being ON but they do cool.

Peter

Mine aren't noisy at all. In fact, I don't even notice them being ON but they do cool.

Peter
On 3 they are louder than the HVAC!

I haven't found mine to be loud on any setting, and I can clearly detect a difference in the cooling function with each setting.

My passenger ventilation fan is very noisy so I put a black piece of tape over the button on the passenger side.
The driver side ventilator works well and is quiet on all 3 speeds.

Back