• Register Today It's free!

Very Difficult start

Calvinrueb87

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer
I have acquired a 91 Explorer that has a problem. The engine will turn over just fine, but there is no spark unless there is at least two batteries hooked up. Once started it will run perfect (minus an issue with the ABS, but that is for later) I hear the fuel pump and after a while of turning over I smell gas so I know there is fuel. I've put a timing light on it while cranking and there is no indication of spark. I've replaced the coil pack. I checked the plug going into the coil pack, the red wire does have a +12v connection. I read online that the other three should strobe a ground while cranking so I hooked up my muti meter to the frame and it on a continuity test and nothing came up, so I think my problem is before all that.

I tried doing a KOEO test by jumping the terminals and using a brake light bulb I had with a holster. It lit and I think (If i did it right) that I got the codes 416 and 212 but after looking them up I had no idea where to go from there. I have access to other explorer's for used parts and swapped out the EEC and ICM as well as bought a brand new Crankshaft Position Sensor (I was ready to bet money that it was the problem). I've checked and reseated all the fuses.

Engine

I just found out that it is a Navajo engine transplant and read in another post about the ECU needing to match, which one do i need?

I just found out that it is a Navajo engine transplant and read in another post about the ECU needing to match, which one do i need?

the one from a navajo? im sure your local junk yard has a few id check there

Back