*FIXED! Thx Number4." Changed clutch on my '94, now the engine won't start. O.o | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

*FIXED! Thx Number4." Changed clutch on my '94, now the engine won't start. O.o

scott.475

Reaction score
City, State
Washington State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4wd Explorer
What the heck have I done? The engine cranks, just won't start. I did replace a crushed o2 connector while at it, and pulled the coil pack to do that. I thought maybe I'd dorked that up, but resistance tests on it show it's fine.

There are only a couple electrical connections to undo for a clutch job, so I'm at a total loss here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you getting fuel? Did you confirm spark?

Are you getting fuel? Did you confirm spark?

I'll have to wait and check that on Saturday, but it was running fine when
I pulled it into the driveway 4 days ago.

Really depressing, I tried so hard to be careful. I though maybe I knocked sonething loose while leaning across the engine to plug in the o2 sensors, but haven't seen anything obvious.

I even thought gas might have been low and run away from the pump, but it has plenty.

So freaking upset right now.

Is the fuel cut off switch popped up?

When you turn the ignition switch to run, do you hear the fuel pump?

the older these vehicles get the easier it seems to send an electrical connector south. as mentioned check the basics, fuel, spark and i think you'll probably find the fault somewhere in the ignition system.

That's a good question, I don't think I heard it whirring. I'll go check in a bit.

Number4, THANK YOU!!! It was the cut off, I hadn't even considered that. It probably popped when my dog distracted my while I was letting it down, and it came down pretty hard.

Again, THANK YOU.

And, thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Hey, can't beat that feeling of success! Nice to have it run I bet. I'd disconnected mine in Aug. of 2014 when I started my rebuild which I just finished 2 weeks ago. So a similar thing happened to me as I'd forgot I'd pulled its connector.

And, it's shifting great now, and the check engine light isn't coming on anymore because of the smashed O2 connector (which I smashed the previous I took the tranny out), and I got it done before the rains came.

Biggest problem I had on this project was breaking a bolt off in the exhaust manifold flange that connects to the exhaust crossover. Used cobalt bits for the first time to drill that out, then broke of a tap trying to rethread it! I ultimately ended up cutting a slot through the flange to get the pressure off the tap and get it out, then just used a bolt and nut on that one. I spent 3 days just dealing with that one issue. I did use the tap to clean up the threads on the other three flange holes, and used new bolts, and they went together WAY easier than the other times I've removed the exhaust.

Good job on cleaning up the project. It's funny how forgotten little things can stop a project dead and cause great confusion and frustration. It's a good reminder for all of us to check those little things first when we come across hiccups like what you experienced.

Back