• Register Today It's free!

Very low oil pressure

Ultrudeus

Reaction score
City, State
Joliet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger
I have a 92 ranger 2wd with a 2.3 engine. I have extremely low oil pressure and it often times drops completely down to zero. I don't think its the gauge or the sending unit because when the pressure drops really low, the engine struggles to stay alive. I just bought this truck very cheep and I don't want to put much money into it. Could it be the oil pump or a clogged screen? Or is this most likely a bigger problem?

Thanks in advance

A plugged screen isn't out of the question. It happened to me.

With the engine OFF, take the sending unit off the block, and use compressed air to blow into the block...that can blow the screen clear...not ALL of it, but some of it.

But I would drop the pan, and inspect the pick up tube, clean it as necessary....use kerosene, or brake cleaner.

Ryan

the engine stumbling is probably the cause of your drop in oil pressure.

What about the pump? Could that be a cause as well? If there is enough sludge in the engine to clog the pickup could that cause the pump to fail? I am going to head over to Autozone later today and have them order me a new pump and screen. I am hoping this will fix the problem.

Also should this be in the ranger forum or the under tho hood forum? I didn't see them or read what should be here when I made this post. If it should be there can a mod move it?

Back