Vinyl Decals to Cover Rust Holes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vinyl Decals to Cover Rust Holes

This rocker panel is hideous and embarrassing.

Since it will be some time until I'm ready to strip the paint, cut out the rust, weld in new metal, and repaint, I'm thinking about covering it up with a white vinyl decal.

What are your thoughts on this? Where can I buy sheets/strips of vinyl stickers?

Is there anything preventive I should do first? Should I grind away some of the rust to prevent it from spreading, should I use a rust treatment, or should I just leave it alone until a full fix?

Attachments

• Rust Body Passenger Strip.jpg
    Rust Body Passenger Strip.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 2,830

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As with any rust, unless you get rid of the source of moisture it will keep getting worst.

Putting a sticker there might give a place for water tostay, and making it worst.

I had a similar situation, but I just spent a little time to smothen out the rockers a bit making it less brutal looking.

Look up por-15 in the search engine, it is a paint like product that can be applied on directly to rust that forms a fiberglass like seal.

They actually make it in white, and using that for a quick touch up may be a better plan.

Yea, I wouldn't cover it up and risk trapping water behind it, only exacerbating the problem. If you DO decide to do that, I would at least chip off the peeling paint and sand the surface flat. But if you go that far, you might as well cover it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer or POR-15 and just paint it at that point.

I agree, don't put a decal over that. It may make it look better for the time being, but it's not worth it.

As with any rust, unless you get rid of the source of moisture it will keep getting worst.

Putting a sticker there might give a place for water tostay, and making it worst.

I had a similar situation, but I just spent a little time to smothen out the rockers a bit making it less brutal looking.

Look up por-15 in the search engine, it is a paint like product that can be applied on directly to rust that forms a fiberglass like seal.

They actually make it in white, and using that for a quick touch up may be a better plan.

Do you know of a dealer in western Canada? Or do you have to order it from there website?

I would knock the rust out completely, get it down to bare metal all around, then primer it, THEN put your decal over it until you can finish the repair

Back