• Register Today It's free!

Violent Shake above 75

BurnTheLight88

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Mountaineer
I know that there are millions of threads involving shaking problems, but this one isn't typical that I know of and would probably take forever to search and find something relevant...

If I drive 70 on an interstate, all is fine. If I take a slight bend on an interstate at 70, all is fine. This is true until I hit 75, pretty much on the dot. 75 going straight is just fine, but if I start taking a slight bend, especially turning the wheel slightly left, I get a violent shake. So violent I usually have to slow down because it feels like the vehicle will lose control. It almost feels as if one of the tires is staying consistent with steering and the other is on a left/right wobble. I just got it inspected about 6k miles ago, suspension wise ball joints and tie rods seemed nice and tight. No recent repairs to it, so I don't think its air in the power steering either, because I know that's a common problem.

I highly doubt this is a simple balancing issue, it is much too violent and the change from absolutely fine to violent shake for just a balance problem doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket wheels? If so, do you have hubcentric rings?

nope, factory. this started about 2 months ago, while it was raining. it really hasnt happened since then until the other day, it was doing it very consistently in dry weather. i hadn't really done much to the car immediately before it happened the first time, or since then.

Almost sounds like a broken belt (or structural flaw) in the tire, on the side opposite of the turn, the side it's leaning to. (shaking in left turn=passenger side tire) Hope you find the problem. :thumbsup:

The tires have been on there since I bought the Mounty a little over a year ago, so I don't know what could have compromised the quality of the tire, but that is a good thought.

Yea tire problems can come up at anytime. Sometimes visible, sometimes not.

Back