Voltage Issue's! any idea's? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Voltage Issue's! any idea's?

somethig else that can cause it is a burn out charge light. I completely forgot about that.

When you turn the key to the on position several lights should come on, including a light that looks like a battery to the left of the wheel.

Glad you fixed it man. Sucks you had to damn near overhaul the engine to find the fault though.

i do get a few lights that come on with the key on. but that charge light ive never seen once.

wish i had seen this, i just swapped a set of LIMITED gauges in earlier today. very easily could have swapped out the bulb to see if thats was the issue. owell. worry about it next time. i also fixed my broken sunroof latch, modded the headlights to use the brighter 9007 bulbs, installed my mazda navajo steering wheel and a few other things. now that its running ok, im actually trying to upgrade a few things. also bought all new infinity speakers for it all around.

Here is the wiring for the 3G alternator.

The Light green/red goes from the alternator to the cluster charge light and is fed from the ignition switch and must be hot when running. Should be protected by a 20 amp fuse.

The yellow loops back to the battery cable stud.

The white/black goes to the stator and comes from the three wire plug ending in it's own single connector back to the alternator.

Then there is the heavy cable from the stud on the back going to the alternator.

If anyone is interested there are diagrams and pictures for the 2G, 3G, 4G, 6G and Mitsibushi ambulance alternators at the link below. There are instructions on upgrading from an older model to a newer one too. I just did the 3G swap into my '87 mustang. Very easy to do.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=63

Attachments

• 3G-ALT_plug.gif
    3G-ALT_plug.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 154

Back