Walk me through the exhaust system... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Walk me through the exhaust system...

fireman5031

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a rattle coming from under the car. I have put it up on the ramps and done some "exploring" under there but I am looking for a little help. Here is what I see: Off the left and right manifold is a Y pipe, on each side, just before the 2 into 1 I see the catalytic converters, one for the right manifold and one for the left. As I follow the pipe it comes into a second chamber, then into another that appears to be the muffler and out to the tail pipe. My question is what is that second chamber that sits between the cats and the muffler? Or is it Cats, Muffler, Resinator then tail pipe? Seems almost like there are 2 mufflers...

I can take a picture if need be, but I am sure someone here can follow my vague explanation!

Its a 2006 Explorer Limited V8. To the best of my knowledge I have checked all the heat shields and they seem to be just fine.

Thanks for the help!

Or is it Cats(one on each side of the "Y"), Muffler, Resonator then tail pipe? Seems almost like there are 2 mufflers...

Yes exactly, from what I can see in the service manual.

Headers > Cats (hi-flow) > Resonator (lose it) > Muffler (high flow glasspack) > Tailpipe(4" chrome)

Fireman, have you isolated it to be the front or rear of the car? I also have a rattle but it is from the right rear (or so it seems). Had it over 2 years now and have never figured out the cause.

Back