Want tires to poke out of fenders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want tires to poke out of fenders

Joey E

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4
I have a 97 xlt xplorer I want my tires to stick out past the fenders love the look and right now mud just gets in the fenderwells I want to stay away from 15x10 I want 15x8 what backspace should I look for any ideas pics welcome if anyone has any

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fenders are there to protect other vehicles from the crap your tires pick up off the road and fling at their windshields.

^ That's why sticky outy tyres are illegal.

In Florida I have never heard it being llegal most trucks have them like that

In Florida I have never heard it being llegal most trucks have them like that

Technically speaking, almost any mod you do on your vehicle is against federal law. It's just almost never enforced. Alternate size wheels, mufflers, lift kits, etc. All illegal unless you get it approved, which is difficult. Its not a concern until you get in an accident, and the person you hurt tries to sue you because he claims the accident was caused by your "illegal" wheels.

Biggest problem with offset wheels is that it will kill your front end quick. You will need to upgrade everything including the torsion bars.

Technically speaking, almost any mod you do on your vehicle is against federal law. It's just almost never enforced. Alternate size wheels, mufflers, lift kits, etc. All illegal unless you get it approved, which is difficult. Its not a concern until you get in an accident, and the person you hurt tries to sue you because he claims the accident was caused by your "illegal" wheels.

Biggest problem with offset wheels is that it will kill your front end quick. You will need to upgrade everything including the torsion bars.

That's not really true... There are very few federal laws about modifying your vehicle. The only real ones are some very basic emissions related laws, and lighting related laws. Most laws regarding modification are state and local laws, like laws limiting lift heights by saying how far off the ground your bumper can be. Mufflers aren't restricted... well, anywhere, and tires and wheels... once again, as long as they are DOT approved (good luck finding tires that aren't), you can have them on your car. State laws once again may set a maximum height of your bumper or may say whether or not they can stick out past the fender/mudflaps/flares.

But yeah, many laws are never enforced... mainly cause cops don't want to be "bad guys" or just don't bother memorizing all the piddly little ordinances.

well, since everybody took the legal route and ruined your buzz, here,,

15x8 rims with 4 inch backspace will let them stick out some,,
here's 15x10 with 4 inch,,
164498_10150383837665165_602352_n.jpg

Corley does it affect like wheel bearings and stuff and can you run 32 11.50s on there or do you need 12.50

I mnt corkey damn auto correct

Oh really?

those wheels and tires are 35x12.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on 15x10 wheels,,
no wheel bearing issues , or any others,,

and it was a daily driver,,
so ,,
with a 32 inch tire , i would be hard pressed to think there would be bad wheel bearing issues,,

I don't relly care so much for legality, only if/how it effects my insurance.

But uncovered tyre are just dangerous on the road, flinging rocks and **** everywhere just so you can look cool.

So on a 15x10 I would have to run a 32 12.50

yes you would , but with an 8 inch rim and a smaller width tire, it would still stick out some, just not as much as a 10 inch rim,,
mine were too far out, , like 3 inches i guess, (seeing as you all want to know the legal route,,but with mud flaps they can stick out 10 inches and be legal) )

Why so much focus on the legality? I just said that there aren't many federal laws that prevent you from modding. The REAL issue here is throwing rocks at people's windshields.

So with a 15x8 it would probably stick out about 1 inch past the fender if the 15x10 were about 3 you said

I ran a 17X8.5 with 12.50 wide tires. They have 3.75" BS and stick out an inch or 2, granted I'm an ST but you get the point. You could stick with an 8" wide wheel if you want and use the lower BS. I never had any problems with mine and I was running 35s with wheeling trips almost every weekend for a 6 months and also a DD going down the highway at 70+ mph.

I think imma go with some 15x8 3.75 bs and 32 11.50

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back