Want to get airride, got a few questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to get airride, got a few questions

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Today I was looking the the summit magazine and stumbled upon the air ride section while lookin at new shocks since I bought blocks to drop my explorer. What all do I need to do this? If anyone has the summit magazine, its on page 306. What all do I need? How much should I plan on spending to just do the front, then maybe the back later and vise versa? Id rather spend my money on air ride then reg. drop

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what you are looking at is for towing/load leveling and not a true airbag setup. those systems are for supplementing the stock suspension... not replacing it. further more, those only work on the rear and not the front. same concept- different design.

We have installed the Air Lift kit on lowered Explorers before with no problems. Like James said, it is for load leveling situations. It is designed to work with your existing components. This is great for someone with a lowered (or stock) Explorer that wants to carry heavy loads, heavy passengers or do some towing.

The standard Air Lift Kit for the rear is $194.95. The optional controller $121.95 allows you to adjust the rear ride height from the drivers seat.

Attachments

• air lift lowered web.jpg
    air lift lowered web.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 491

wow, that seems cheaper then I thought it would be. How high does it raise? The kit includes compressor and all?

hydroxy man, you know i have it installed right? hit me up and we'll talk about it a bit.

Attachments

• erouting.jpg
    erouting.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 553

I would install that if there were a front kit to go with it....How much ride height adjustment does it have , how hard was it to install, and how does it ride now ?

Thanks,

Nick -

3-4", took me two hours to install at most, and the ride with it at 50 psi (maybe 2 inches higher than all air out) is incrediblly better than with the 3" static drop.

Very cool , do they make something like this for the front ? If so i will buy this !

so the air ride kit u have is only for the back? And u can adjust it about 4"? What all would I need to buy and the cheapest way to go about all this. If its cheap enuf i will do it cuz i got some $$ saved and i always wanted to do some sort of airride but didnt wanna spend the $$$

???

yes, that is right.

you need the kit with the airlift bags and the controller/on board air kit. explorer express has both.

the only thing that i'd add is that with my truck i had to use different bags for the drivers and passengers sides. the larger ones that your supposed to use for both simply would not fit right.

The standard Air Lift Kit for the rear is $194.95. The optional controller $121.95 allows you to adjust the rear ride height from the drivers seat. The controller kit includes the compressor & gauge. This is a single conlroller. If you want a dual controller so you can adjust side to side it will be $178.95.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/airlift.html

Ok, lemme get this strait

I get the controller for 178. I get the kit for the back for 202. Now with this I can adjust the rear height 4" . Like what air ride would do, hit switches and the rear bags will inflate and deflate from a compressor. My biggest question is when this is deflated, will my explorer drop 4" from the height it is right now, or will it deflate after I already raised it 4" from inflating. If so I dont want it, i am just looking to low from what it is right now. If its all good, I am going to order it tomarow night when I get paid. Thanks so much. This is like a dream come true if its all real

also, just fyi i run the dual controller kit with an extra one of their compressors as well. the compressor is like $45 straight from the company. with one compressor per side it goes up twice as fast and is actually reasonable speed wise.

I am not sure why one would need the in cab controler? Wouldn't you only inflate with a load or a trailer?

ur missing my point here. I wanna get a air-ride like system without accually having to buy it all. I want to be able to drop it and lower it like an air ride system would do.

Expo5.0: My biggest question is when this is deflated, will my explorer drop 4" from the height it is right now, or will it deflate after I already raised it 4" from inflating. If so I dont want it, i am just looking to low from what it is right now

Also when U deflate it does it make a whoosh sound :-D

if you raise it with the bag's say 4" then you let the air out it will go back to the stock hight

so this kit only raises, not drops?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no..it only lift's

Back