Want to wash my engine-engine compartment, Suggestions for cleaners? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to wash my engine-engine compartment, Suggestions for cleaners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple Green.

Cover your electronics (alternator, fuse box, bare connections), spray it down with water, drench with SG, use a wash mitt to lightly scrub, and rinse thoroughly.

To give the bay a shine, look into a product called CD2 Engine Detailer. When the engine is almost dry, spray everything, then run the engine for 15 minutes to "bake" it on. It's essentially an Armor All-like product for the engine bay.

You may have a little difficulty finding it, as either it was phased out (hope not) or its product highly cut back. But, it's worth its fluid weight in gold.

Great!!!! I'll try it and post before and after pics!!!!

Washing the engine frequently is not good as the engine get rusted but can use car shampoos which is separately made for the cars and check for new shampoos to clean with the local dealer......

Simple Green at O'Reilley's

This is the Simple Green I used, did wonders....
exps.jpg

Don't agree.....

Washing the engine frequently is not good as the engine get rusted but can use car shampoos which is separately made for the cars and check for new shampoos to clean with the local dealer......

The engine gets just as damp/wet when driving in heavy rain. It may not be as soaked as during a wash and rinse but there is all the moisture needed to rust any bare metal parts. Keeping and engine clean lets it run cooler and shows in leaks and early trouble.

I believe Simple Green is a bit harsh on plastics, so I spray everything down with engine degreaser first. Then I powerwash it off. I do that while the engine is running and I don't bother covering anything, I just stay away from the fuse box and the coil packs.

Then I spray the whole engine down with tire foam and leave it. I've used this method for a while and the engine stays clean for months at a time.

If you can, get a spray bottle, and the gallon bottle concentrate of Simple Green. I just mix my own a little stronger than the store gets it. The Max is just a little higher concentration than the regular SG. Good stuff though! :thumbsup:

Also good is Meguiar's Super Degreaser... Yes, it's a Chevy, no, it's not mine, just another detailer I know with pics handy. :D

Before: CLICK

After: CLICK

You can finish with some Meg's Hyper Dressing or the CD2 if you can find it, it's getting hard to find.

1. Spray Hyper Dressing onto plastic, rubber and black bits while still wet
2. With engine running, close hood and allow car to idle for +- 5 minutes
3. Turn engine off, open hood and wipe down plastic, rubber and black bits with a clean MF

I'll give it another bump for simple green.

Back