WANTED Manual Locking Hub Convesion Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WANTED Manual Locking Hub Convesion Kit

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Hi fellow Explorers... I have a For Explorer 1997 XLT V6 SOHC Gen2 and planning to do a convert my front diff into manual locking hub as I fit a Auto Locker and worried maybe one day I will break the C.V axles...

So I need to be able to unlock and unlock the front for less stress on my C.V axles...

here down under (Australia) we don't have much parts here for explorers under 1997 so If you know where I can get this or If you have a suitable for my Gen2 please let me know and Ill be happy to make a deal and I need the price for shipping also to Sydney Australia 2044...

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people just do the brown wire mod to run a locker in a 2nd Gen front end: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149388

I don't know if there's manual hubs for a 97. I see this from the Ranger Station tech library:http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/AVM_hub_swap.shtml but they're not for 97s.
I'm not real familiar with the 2nd Gen front axle, but there looks to be two types, live axle and vacuum actuated, do you know what yours has?

oh thanks for the reply but yes I have done that brown wire mod's...

But from my knowledge it only switches off the front wheel drive right but the Auto Locker will still be locked on both front wheels no matter what, correct me if I am wrong...
I'm trying to restrict to be locked to be free wheel the front so less stress for my C.V axles...

I'm not aware of any manual hubs after '94 for any explorer's. It doesn't work the same as the axle is always live after '94. Your looking for something that doesn't exist. '98+ ranger hub will not work.

Vacuum was only on Rangers. Never on a explorer

I would guess you are almost better ebay-ing for a new set of hubs and lockouts.

All of the equipment in that thread comes from a 98-00 ranger with PV (pulse vacuum) Hubs.

You need:
Knuckle seals
Hubs
CVs
Lockouts
Axle retention clips

Search the site for "AVM manual" This will get you several threads on the conversion if you read through them there are part number for most of the parts. (The link you posted has the two most difficult parts with part numbers; the axle clip and seal.)

I would guess you are almost better ebay-ing for a new set of hubs and lockouts.

All of the equipment in that thread comes from a 98-00 ranger with PV (pulse vacuum) Hubs.

You need:
Knuckle seals
Hubs
CVs
Lockouts
Axle retention clips

Search the site for "AVM manual" This will get you several threads on the conversion if you read through them there are part number for most of the parts. (The link you posted has the two most difficult parts with part numbers; the axle clip and seal.)
The seals I used are federal mogul /national part #710519 and the clips are ford part #F87Z-3B457-AA , and yes Ebay is the easyest place to find these parts although I did get the seals from rock auto

Back