Wanting larger tires, have questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanting larger tires, have questions

NaptwnB2

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 Bronco 2
So I've recently acquired an 84 bronco 2, completely stock with four bad tires. I want to put a larger heartier tire on (currently has 215 75 15 BFGoodrich radial all terrain ta). whats the largest tire I can put on without doing a body lift? Looking at a set of 30X9.5R15 general grabber at 2. Am I being to ambitious?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that would fit, I had 31x10.50 on mine and I just had to cut the fenders behind the tire up about 8", and trim the front up about 6". if your not looking to trim it then you could run the 30x9.5 and probably have no problems at all, especially if you are running a pretty narrow rim. here is mine before sas with 31's on it

2323234928_photobucket_127940_.jpg

it looks so tiny now haha, I cut the front even with the cowl thing on the front for the turn signals and the back at an angle to match the fender line.

So I've recently acquired an 84 bronco 2, completely stock with four bad tires. I want to put a larger heartier tire on (currently has 215 75 15 BFGoodrich radial all terrain ta). whats the largest tire I can put on without doing a body lift? Looking at a set of 30X9.5R15 general grabber at 2. Am I being to ambitious?

Just my 2 cents worth. Don't know if you plan to wheel this any but a 30" tall tire may test the stock 84 axle that's in it.
I'm sure someone else will come back with better info.

Whoa this was posted within seconds of ya.

Rick I rodded the hell out of my bII with the 31's on it and never broke on the 7.5 and d28, that being said it has happened before. I did break the rear driveshaft when I got the 4.0 in there, that was pretty funny. did you ever break the d35 with that healthy 302 you got under the hood before you put the d44 in?

Other then the right front tire about wanting to fall off going around a turn due to those spindle nuts. But after modifing the locking tab so it would fit the slot in the spindle coupled with locktight Red. I never had an issue in that area. But knowing what was under the front, I just took it easy. More on the wooded trails with hardly no rocks.
One thing is for sure, I'll never go back.

Other then the right front tire about wanting to fall off going around a turn due to those spindle nuts. But after modifing the locking tab so it would fit the slot in the spindle coupled with locktight Red. I never had an issue in that area. But knowing what was under the front, I just took it easy. More on the wooded trails with hardly no rocks.
One thing is for sure, I'll never go back.

I had 31's on my BII for about 2 years with a moderate fendertrim, and I went wheeling with the rock/mud/normal eastern Ky bunch around 5-6 times a month, year round. The biggest trouble that I had was that the stupid spindle nuts that hold the bearings in would come loose after just about every ride. I simply added checking them to the normal "after ride" checks/maintenance regimen. I never broke the dinky little D28, but I wasn't exactly trying to, either. It is tougher than most give it credit for, but, you DO have to remember that it is NOT an overly stout axle, and drive accordingly. I don't think that I would want to try it with larger tires simply due to basic physics: Bigger tire+= more rotational inertia, which equals more stress on a small to begin with part.

here's my 84 with 30's

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,114

30's fit stock with a little rubber mallet work to the rear edge of the front fenders. 2" coils and blocks clears with lots of room and flex. Like Backwoods said they will live with bigger tires and sense. Here's my 88 with 33's in Moab. Didn't Start breaking things till i went to the long radius arms and then over-flexed the center joint.

Attachments

• dan3.1.jpg
    dan3.1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,012

Good info and pics guys.
IMG_0067.jpg

I think some of the problem with the spindle nuts backing off other then the separation of the inner and out bearings which don't give much lateral support any way let alone with taller tires that increase the leverage on them.

Is all the slop in the locking washer.

Above is a stock locking washer.

IMG_0072.jpg

Just added some weld to the tab to make it larger and starting to form a better fit.

IMG_0075.jpg

Then even added loctite Red. When I added the red to the spindle threads I did not clean with solvent as instructions.
So I really don't know how well the red worked. But after mods it never came off again.
But like Backwoods said, I did do the grabbing of the tire thing and do the N to S and then the E to W shake with tires off ground.

Without cleaning the grease off the threads, I doubt the Loctite was doing a whole lot (which is probably a good thing, you'd never get it apart again had Red Loctite fully set up on threads that big :eek: ).

Putting an end to spindle nuts loosening is just a matter of tightening the outer locknut to about 225-250 ft-lbs.
Good tip on the washers too. I've seen cases where the tab rode up out of the slot and damaged the spindle threads. Ones I've seen like that were aftermarket washers though, the stock ones (at least on mine) do stick down into the slot a little ways.

thanks for the help guys. All considered and my current budget, probably be buying a 215-225/75-15 (mail truck looking tire)...

thanks for the help guys. All considered and my current budget, probably be buying a 215-225/75-15 (mail truck looking tire)...

craigslist time!!!!!

Back