Water around overhead console | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water around overhead console

2012 with Dual Panel Moonroof and Factory Roof Rails, 130k

I have a leak. About 70% of rain events cause the leak. The water drips from the driver and sometimes passenger center overhead lights. Recently, after a 10 hour rain event the water must have gotten behind the center console bc the hazard lights were flashing on their own and pushing the button couldn't turn them off. Even disconecting and reconnecting the battery didn't work. I assume the button was "stuck" or maybe shorting out because it got wet. A friend attached a reader and the hazards came up as a fault and then button worked soon after. I assume because it dried out. My A/C button also doesn't work now. I can only turn on the AC via the touch screen.
I cleaned out the two drain holes in the dual panel moonroof. The passenger side was clogged so i thought that would resolve the issue. Nope. After a light rain water was in the lights again. Turning sharp forcing the water out of them.

1. Are there other drain holes besides the two up front?
2. Where else could the leak come from?

Side note. I've had a leak in the back for years. Water drips down the third row seatbelt. Is that water entering from a different spot?

I wouldn't care so much but now that i see electronics can be damaged i am getting worried.

Thank you!
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the Search feature. There are 4 moonroof drains and depending upon which ones are clogged, water will pool in either the front or 2nd row footwells.
As for the water running down the 3rd row seat belt, that has also been discussed before. Chances are it is leaking from the roof rail anchor point. Have you checked the spare tire well for water?
See Water Leak

Peter

Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the Search feature. There are 4 moonroof drains and depending upon which ones are clogged, water will pool in either the front or 2nd row footwells.
As for the water running down the 3rd row seat belt, that has also been discussed before. Chances are it is leaking from the roof rail anchor point. Have you checked the spare tire well for water?
See Water Leak

Peter
Hi Peter,
In the past, the rear leak did cause water to pool in the spare tire well.

That's probably a good start. Hopefully that will solve the issue. If, not, then you can rule that out.

Peter
I also had my windshield replaced. Has to be that right?

I also had my windshield replaced. Has to be that right?
Have you had rain or driven through rain since the windshield was replaced without having the issue? It could be the windshield seal or that of the moonroof. You could always try running water over each area independently to see if you see water in the console again.

Peter

Back