• Register Today It's free!

Water build up in back tail light

Comptronic

Reaction score
City, State
NEW JERSEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Ford Explorer XLT
I seem to get water inside the rear tail light housing. What would be the best way to get the water out and then "seal" the housing?

It's for a 2004 Explorer XLT.

Thanking you in advance.

I have had this problem on several vehicles of my own. Don't the reason it happen on some and not others. Pop-out the tail light housing, find the lowest point on the backside and drill a small hole (1/8"). This will keep moisture from building up in side.

My tail light used to fill up with water and I couldn't find the source for the life of me. I would remove the housing after a few heavy rains and just dump the water out. After doing that several times, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the housing for the water to drain out. It wasn't until recently that I noticed a dark horizontal line about 2" wide halfway up the housing, indicating where the crack was all along.

My tail light used to fill up with water and I couldn't find the source for the life of me. I would remove the housing after a few heavy rains and just dump the water out. After doing that several times, I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the housing for the water to drain out. It wasn't until recently that I noticed a dark horizontal line about 2" wide halfway up the housing, indicating where the crack was all along.

I haven't noticed where my water was coming from however, I drilled (4) mini holes in the very bottom of the housing and so far, so good.

Back