Water Leak | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are these all leaking around the roof rails? Would a small bead of silicone around each rail connection point on the roof be preventative?

(yeah, I know, shouldn't have to do that on a new vehicle, just asking the question).

...open the rear hatch, look at both sides, see the water channels/weep holes?

so if these holes are here, where does the water come into them?
it looks like from the roof rail feet and where else? rear side windows?

YT assembly video shows worker pounding in rear side windows with fist
as an Ex goes by on the prod line - so anything like water going past the glass into window frame is heading for water channel.

Ex Roof rail feet are not water tight on any Ex. - underneath is a water channel.
Compare to Chevy Traverse or GMC Acadia - look at the difference in construction of the roof rail system and how flush its to the roof...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Explorer XLT Leaking

I signed up with this forum to find some answers to why my Explorer is leaking.
I noticed about 5" of rain in my spare tire well. My carpets are soaked and bolt are rusted.
I have my wife drive our 2 kids around in the car but I can't trust it.
I need to get out if it. It is too dangerous.

2013 Explorer XLT Leaking

Is it just the 2011 models with this leak issue?

NO. My 2013 Eplorer XLT with 25,000 miles is leaking. Third row soaked and spare tire well has about 5 inches of water and ice.

I signed up with this forum to find some answers to why my Explorer is leaking...

Hi etm16,

I responded to your PM: check out your inbox for my reply. As soon as I have some extra info from you, I'll be able to get to work on some options. :thumbsup:

Crystal

NO. My 2013 Eplorer XLT with 25,000 miles is leaking. Third row soaked and spare tire well has about 5 inches of water and ice.
Welcome to the Forum etm16.:wavey:
As indicated in my PM, I have merged your thread/post to this existing one on the same issue.
Good luck.

Peter

Has anyone on here reported having a leak, getting it sealed and never ever having a problem again for years to come
Many complaints about taking the ceiling down sealing it only to have leaks start up in other places.

Has anyone on here reported having a leak, getting it sealed and never ever having a problem again for years to come
Many complaints about taking the ceiling down sealing it only to have leaks start up in other places.
That might be a little hard to say at this point. The Explorer has really only been out for 3 years.;) The first post about the water leak was Sept. 2011. just over 2 years ago. That being said, I believe there were posts about successful repairs, at least up to now. Hopefully some of those members with successful repairs will jump in here.

Peter

It would be great if our Ford Service rep could find out if Ford/factory has made any recent changes that prevents water leaks on future production units.

It would be great if our Ford Service rep could find out if Ford/factory has made any recent changes that prevents water leaks on future production units.
So far there hasn't been a report that the 2014 model has been affected yet.

Peter

got our first big rain since its been fixed and several car washes later still no sign of leakage it seems like the fixed it, It was the luggage rack

Looks like Post #449 (2014 Sport, I assume) has a different area of water leak…in the front of the ceiling. And it doesn't have the panoramic roof.

Leaking Moonroof

The first significant rain just arrived in California, and its raining inside my Explorer. Water is coming in through the moonroof and finding its way through the upper center map light module and also down the drivers side "A" pillar. This happened once before when it went through the car wash. I thought it might have been due to high pressure wash. It wasn't.
Also, when the moonnroof leaked, it drained into the lower center console where your phone charges. I know this, because my iphone was in the pool of water.
Any other moonroof leaks out there?
It's in for service now. We'll see what they say.

They are also looking at my noisy fan motor. ??

The first significant rain just arrived in California, and its raining inside my Explorer. Water is coming in through the moonroof and finding its way through the upper center map light module and also down the drivers side "A" pillar. This happened once before when it went through the car wash. I thought it might have been due to high pressure wash. It wasn't.
Also, when the moonnroof leaked, it drained into the lower center console where your phone charges. I know this, because my iphone was in the pool of water.
Any other moonroof leaks out there?
It's in for service now. We'll see what they say.

They are also looking at my noisy fan motor. ??

There are posts about leaking moonroofs here.
Good luck.

Peter

Here is an update on my 2011 Explorer water leak. Crystal sent a private message that my case was forwarded to a regional customer service manager.
I had the roof repaired at Harrisonburg Ford in VA. They don't do this type of repair so they had Water Doctors do the repair. As many have said on this forum it will take many tries to get this fixed and all of you are correct. After the repair I still have a leak.
Anna Marie the Ford regional manger said Ford would pay $75 of the $145 bill for the first attempt at repairing it.

Well everyone that said my leak would not be fixed on the first try was correct. I will be taking it back Thursday for the 3rd repair attempt.

Obviously, the problem is much bigger than a 'seam' as we all have known!! Really FORD take notice here!!!

My XSport is back from service. The drain hose on the drivers side left "A" pillar was not hooked up properly from the factory. It just drained into the headliner and down the "A" post.
Service department removed headliner, attached the one hose and checked the other three. It's dry inside for now.

Well everyone that said my leak would not be fixed on the first try was correct. I will be taking it back Thursday for the 3rd repair attempt.

Hi Luke1975,

Send me a PM with your current mileage and a verification of your best daytime phone number. I'll alert your CSM that your concern is still present so she can jump in and help.

Crystal

Hello I am new to this forum and own a 2011 explorer limited. I am experiencing the same water leaks as some of you described on my third row seat belts. Other things I noticed that there is rust and a small puddle inside the spare tire compartment and condensation on the spare tire/rim and the cover for the spare tire is bowed. I took to dealer yesterday and they are gave me an estimate on repair cost. I told them that I am not paying anything just to let me know what the problem is and that it is a manufacturer defect not wear and tear. I also called ford customer relations and they opened a case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I am new to this forum and own a 2011 explorer limited. I am experiencing the same water leaks as some of you described on my third row seat belts. Other things I noticed that there is rust and a small puddle inside the spare tire compartment and condensation on the spare tire/rim and the cover for the spare tire is bowed. I took to dealer yesterday and they are gave me an estimate on repair cost. I told them that I am not paying anything just to let me know what the problem is and that it is a manufacturer defect not wear and tear. I also called ford customer relations and they opened a case.
Welcome to the Forum misterturbo2.:wavey:
By the way you describe it, it looks like this has been leaking for a while. The only way some members even discovered the issue was after reading some of the posts here and then checking their own Explorer. Even if you received an estimate of repair costs, there is no guaranty that it will be fixed. There are reports of quite a few members having to make numerous trips in order to get it repaired assuming they actually finally found the leaking area.
Crystal (FordService) is the rep that monitors these forums and has been able to help in getting issues looked at. Although you already have a case number you can still contact her to see if she can doing anything more to assist you. You can use this link if you wish;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message. Your case number should be included as well.
Good luck.

Peter

Back