• Register Today It's free!

Water proof switch?

mental_help

Reaction score
City, State
Hazlehurst,GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT

Well if you read a thread a while back ago I had to replace all the wiring in my truck do to the previous owner. I did the mod where you put ply wood between the center counsel and the dash (it looks great by the way :D). Well I mounted the switch in the ply wood and I noticed I have wires back there. There are more open wires (do to the previous owner) all around my truck but the one I listed was just the first one I could think of but know here is the question how can I make my wire connections/switch waterproof/water resistant?

If you are talking about having the circuits function while the truck is under water(in cab) that is a tall order. Basically it would come down to sealing all openings and bare metal to wires/connectors. Ultra Black RTV, Good luck.

wire connections are waterproofed by shrink wrap, make sure you get the right size for the wires. And if you want, you can place a dab of rtv on the ends right before you shrink it.

As for switches, I hope you are never so far underwater that switches in your senter console are at risk of getting wet. If they are, you now have bigger problems than wet switches.

ziplock and wire ties

new 4 wheeler mag has a whole article on waterproofing

Back