Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 153 87.4%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.6%

• Total voters
2016 SPORT with 103,000. I bought this new and have taken very good care of it. I flushed the radiator last year with Prestone and now antifreeze is weeping out. From what I have read/seen this is a sign of a failing water pump.

The estimates from local Ford dealers to replace the water pump is $3000-$4000.

I am wondering how many others have had the Water Pump fail?
How much they paid for replacement?
Or more importantly how long until the pump gave out???

:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unfortunately, it sounds like your water pump has already failed, if it's leaking. This is a common problem at around 100,000 miles.

My water pump went at 130,000 miles. It's quite an extensive job to replace it, it calls for about 10.5 hours of labor to replace it, which I don't doubt. It's so expensive because it's timing chain ran, the worst type. The water pump going is a common problem, known by Ford, no recalls issued because they simply don't want to pay for it.

I paid about $3300 to get it replaced, all shop rates in my area are at least $140/hr here.

Also to note, do not drive your car with a bad pump, coolant will leak into the engine, like a head gasket leak. When you get it replaced, change the oil alongside with it. If you're driving it, drive it to the place where it's getting repaired. You will destroy the engine if you continue driving it with a bad water pump. Either by overheating or the engine blowing up.

I strongly second not driving it. The next level of failure for the pump is it dumps nearly all the coolant into the oil pan in seconds. You won't know it happened until the engine overheats or ceases up which almost always results in an engine replacement. If you think the cost for the water pump replacement is bad wait until they quote you for an engine replacement which is in the $8k-$10k range.

2016 SPORT with 103,000. I bought this new and have taken very good care of it. I flushed the radiator last year with Prestone and now antifreeze is weeping out. From what I have read/seen this is a sign of a failing water pump.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread has been moved to this existing thread found using the handy 'Search' feature at the top right. Do NOT drive it. Have it towed unless you plan to do the work yourself. There is a thread on that.
Good luck

Peter

-Water pump failure on the Ford Duratec v6 is very common

-I only paid ~$1000 for parts and did the work myself. I wrote up a detailed diy thread that’s stickied at the top of this forum. If you are even a little mechanically inclined and/or have a few days to get the work done it’s not too difficult but it is time consuming

-Your water pump has already “gave out”, continuing to drive it will result in coolant contaminating the oil and the engine failing

I strongly second not driving it. The next level of failure for the pump is it dumps nearly all the coolant into the oil pan in seconds. You won't know it happened until the engine overheats or ceases up which almost always results in an engine replacement. If you think the cost for the water pump replacement is bad wait until they quote you for an engine replacement which is in the $8k-$10k range.
Can confirm this, was unaware my pump had gone bad and my engine nearly overheated. I towed the car home until I could get the pump repaired. I only drove it to the shop where it was getting replaced (which was down the street), but do NOT drive your car.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your water pump has failed. This is a common problem at around 100,000 miles.

My water pump went at 130,000 miles. It's quite an extensive job to replace it, it calls for about 10.5 hours of labor to replace it, which I don't doubt. It's so expensive because it's timing chain ran, the worst type. The water pump going is a common problem, known by Ford, no recalls issued because they simply don't want to pay for it.

I paid about $3300 to get it replaced, all shop rates in my area are at least $140/hr here.

Also to note, do not drive your car with a bad pump, coolant will leak into the engine, like a head gasket leak. When you get it replaced, change the oil alongside with it. If you're driving it, drive it to the place where it's getting repaired. You will destroy the engine if you continue driving it with a bad water pump. Either by overheating or the engine blowing up.
Ok. thank you. I have an appointment to take it in Monday. I keep checking the oil and haven't seen any antifreeze yet. Only see it under the car so far. They quoted me $3100 fyi.

Ok. thank you. I have an appointment to take it in Monday. I keep checking the oil and haven't seen any antifreeze yet. Only see it under the car so far. They quoted me $3100 fyi.
I don't know how far the dealership is but I'd suggest having it towed there.

Peter

I hate being the guy that joins only to have his first post be about needing help, but I’ve been lurking here for the better part of a year and now have a depressing reason to reach out for assistance.

This is long, so the summary is 1k miles over warranty, water pump failed without any check engine light or rise in engine temperature, this lead to complete engine failure, dealer wants $7300 to replace engine and Ford won’t help.

Here is a quick history on our 2011 Ford Explorer Limited. Bought it used from a private party in April ’14, it had 48k miles and looked brand new and was completely stock. Here it is after I detailed it:
Hbplc5V.jpg

On March 15, 2015, I loaded up the family (wife, 6 year old, 3 year old, and 6 month old) in Phoenix, AZ for a quick four day vacation in California during Spring Break. Somewhere around Desert Center, CA, aka the middle of the desert, I started hearing a faint rattle under the hood when the tranny downshifted in order to maintain cruise control speed. It would go away when the tranny would shift up to its final gear. I immediately began watching the temperature gauge to see if anything was amiss. Since it was 95 degrees outside, we were an hour away from civilization, there was no check engine light and no change in engine temp, I kept going. The problem continued to worsen over the next 10 minutes until the engine completely lost power. Even as I was pulling off the road, the temperature gauge read normal and there was no check engine light.

As I came to a complete stop and turned the engine off, I got a “low engine oil” warning and a check engine light finally came on. I happened to bring my Bluetooth OBDII reader with me and the code I pulled was P0017 (crankshaft position). I knew something was bad and needed to have the car towed. I called AAA and after being stranded in the desert for three hours, we finally had the car towed to Fiesta Ford in Indio, CA. Anyone ever been without A/C in the desert for three hours with a 6 month old baby? Not fun.

Here are a few pics of us trying to make the best of it:
JShBO15.jpg

iYDYhtn.jpg

The car had 61k+ miles on it at the time, a mere 1k over the 60k powertrain warranty (but still under the 5 year), when Fiesta asked if I wanted to spend $2300 to break the engine down in order to see what happened and to see if Ford would warranty it. I felt pretty stuck at this point so I said sure. I’m 300 miles from home, no car, vacation ruined, and I need to safely get my family home somehow.

After spending $350 in renting a minivan to drive home, I hear back from Fiesta. The results were failed water pump which lead to complete engine failure and it was going to cost $7300 to put a new engine in. When the regional Ford rep reviewed the case, they denied the claim because 1) I’m 1k over the warranty, 2) I’m not the original owner and 3) I don’t have enough Ford Loyalty.

Since I have no way to contact this regional rep and this Ford Loyalty score is so crucial, I wanted to prove how loyal a Ford customer I was by sending her my family’s 2011 Christmas card:
eudyNOw.jpg

We’ve had eight Ford Focus in my family in the last seven years. How’s that for loyal?

Anyways, does anyone have any way to reach out to someone at Ford HQ to re-review this case? What really bugs me is how there was zero warning of a problem even after it was too late. If the water pump failed and the engine light immediately came on or the engine temp started to rise, I would be looking at a new water pump, which I’m totally fine paying for since I’m 1k over warranty. But the car failed to give me any warning and now I have this giant expense staring at me.

Any ideas?
i just had this happen to me a few months ago with my 2011 Ford Explorer. First mechanics stated that engine needs to be replaced. Upon further investigation and asking motorheads at work, I had the water pump and timing chain replaced (by a Ford dealer mechanic at his own home shop for cash ) and since the car was in the shop, I had the sparkplugs replaced, rad flushed and transmission flushed for $2400 Canadian. There is a controversy over the water pump design and ultimate failure around 100,000 to 150,000 miles. There are youtube videos regarding the water pump issue.
Please don't hesitate to contact me regarding this at mike_kollar@hotmail.com

As Peter said, if you're gonna take it anywhere, have it towed there and get the water pump replaced.

As Peter said, if you're gonna take it anywhere, have it towed there and get the water pump replaced.
Thank you. They are very close, drove it up after checking coolant level and oil was still clean. They came back at $3600 because they want to replace the timing chain and tensioners also. He then said he would request financial assistance from FORD. ouch!!

Thank you. They are very close, drove it up after checking coolant level and oil was still clean. They came back at $3600 because they want to replace the timing chain and tensioners also. He then said he would request financial assistance from FORD. ouch!!
I was expecting it to be around that amount, it's a good time replace the chain and tensioner while they have it apart, it'd cost way more if you did it later. Glad you got the problem resolved. I would've had it towed there, but that's alright.

My local Ford dealer wanted $3850 to replace the water pump if I had done it from the dealer.

The good thing is that now you shouldn't have to worry about the pump, timing guides and chains going bad for the next 100k miles, or probably more. Our Edge has the same potential water pump issue and now that it has over 100k miles and is out of warranty I watch the coolant tank like a hawk for any level drop. If you aren't planning to, or haven't done, other maintenance it is about the time to do it if you plan to drive it another 50k+ miles. The PTU is baked in heat from the exhaust, engine and transmission and should have a drain and refill done every 30k miles. The rear differential is due for a drain and refill. The coolant should be done with the water pump replacement. The transmission should be drained and refilled every 60k miles. The brake fluid should be flushed or at least checked for excessive moisture content. It wouldn't hurt to flush the power steering system too.

I was expecting it to be around that amount, it's a good time replace the chain and tensioner while they have it apart, it'd cost way more if you did it later. Glad you got the problem resolved. I would've had it towed there, but that's alright.

My local Ford dealer wanted $3850 to replace the water pump if I had done it from the dealer.
Just an FYI FORD will NOT offer any financial assistance because it is been 7 years since I bought it. For me I have missed that is by 2 months. So if anyone is seeking financial help with this repair make sure yours is under the 7 year mark.
I wish I could have done this myself but it seemed way too much work for me. Next repair will be my last one with FORD. My 14 year old Honda bought new has had less problems at twice the age.

My 14 year old Honda bought new has had less problems at twice the age.
As a tech, every brand of cars built from 98-2008 will have less problems than newer cars with similar mileage.

As a tech, every brand of cars built from 98-2008 will have less problems than newer cars with similar mileage.
Has to be part of the reason, the average car in the USA is 13 yrs old. That and new ones are pricey!

Has to be part of the reason, the average car in the USA is 13 yrs old. That and new ones are pricey!
The fact that after the 2008 recession made companies pinch every penny they can and the government putting fuel economy restrictions made them make more things out of plastic vs metal for weight reduction.

The fact that after the 2008 recession made companies pinch every penny they can and the government putting fuel economy restrictions made them make more things out of plastic vs metal for weight reduction.
Add in all the electronic wizardry that increases with every new model and there are going to be a lot of vehicles repair totaled in the upcoming years when they are out of warranty.

Add in all the electronic wizardry that increases with every new model and there are going to be a lot of vehicles repair totaled in the upcoming years when they are out of warranty.
That's a very good reason to invest in an ESP.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a very good reason to invest in an ESP.
Good advice. I wouldn't own a newer vehicle today without an extended warranty as a rule. There are a few exceptions but not many.

Back