• Register Today It's free!

Water pump replacement

coreman23

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've decided to tackle the job of replacing my water heater. I got a replacement and from the instructions here, I think I could do it myself.

My question is what else should I go ahead and change while I'm in there? I got a new thermostat, plan on getting new idler and tensioner pulley's. (Should I replace the whole tensioner assembly?)

I plan on replacing the radiator hoses, top and bottom.

Anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Serpentine belt.

Take a good look at your fan, look for blade cracks/problems. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to electric fans, but if you have thought of doing it, now would be the time.

Either way, sure you know, but don't forget those special wrenches...

Definetely do the serp belt if it's old. As mentioned, consider the fan.

I changed the serpertine belt last year, so that should be good to go. I'll consider the fan, I may just replace it, we'll see how it looks.

I've decided to tackle the job of replacing my water heater. I got a replacement and from the instructions here, I think I could do it myself.

My question is what else should I go ahead and change while I'm in there? I got a new thermostat, plan on getting new idler and tensioner pulley's. (Should I replace the whole tensioner assembly?)

I plan on replacing the radiator hoses, top and bottom.

Anything else?

Hoses and new clamps.... most overlooked item in a cooling system. (sorry I just seen you're gonna change them)

Heater hoses and any by pass hoses also. Most forget them and they will leak or blow just as fast as the upper or lower will and leave you just as broke down.

Even if you replaced the belt not that long a go I would do it again and just hold on to the one you takes off as an emergency spare. I keep two with me one for with AC and one for with out been doing this for years and it paid off one time so far also.

If you have everything apart anyway it is a good idea to do a radiator flush, there are a lot of posts on here about suggestions for the best way.

Back