• Register Today It's free!

water sits in muffler

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
I have a 94 explorer and I really don't drive it as much as I use too. I only drive it on Sundays to do my job and maybe go out a few times a week if I can. well last week I drove it Sunday , Monday and Tuesday and I started it up on Thursday for a min and again Saturday for 5mins. when I was warming it up this morning after 5 mins I hear water gurgling in the muffler. I'm not sure if it was boiling. but there was steam coming out of the tail pipe so I revved it up to spit some of the water out I didn't see any. I heard it gurgle in the muffler for a few seconds and it was gone. I noticed yesterday too there was a puddle under my muffler. but it didn't look like coolant too me. my question is, is my coolant somehow draining into my exhaust over night? the weather here for the past few weeks its been kinda hot and misty over night. also it could be the condensation too from it sitting. anyway's thanks

Water is a byproduct of the chemical process that takes place in the catalytic converter.

Since the catalytic converter is in front of the muffler in the exhaust system, water will make its way into the muffler from the catalytic converter. Usually it's not much, but occasionally it will drain from exhaust pipe connections, or even condense along the pipe and come out the very end of the tailpipe as dripping water.

Most of the time, the extremely hot exhaust temperature will simply evaporate this excess. If it gets to be a problem and you notice you constantly have a lot of liquid water in the bottom of the muffler, you could drill a tiny hole near the bottom rear of the muffler to help it drain out, and prevent the muffler from rusting out on the bottom.

Back