• Register Today It's free!

Air gadget and muffler

beachfairy

Reaction score
City, State
dickerson md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Two questions-91 explorer 4wd-replaced muffler this weekend-couldnt get a new gasket so had to reuse the old crumbly one so naturally its not totally airtight-i am not totally finished-still have to put the tailpipe on..the question is this. When i first start it up-a decent amount of water trickles heavily (not a drip not a river) out of the joints...muffler/forward outlet pipe and the the next forward joint-dont know its name. after a few minutes-water stops-What do you think about this?

Second question-awhile ago i had the backfire on start up to do with letting off the key too early and blew some of the hoses off that air pump gadget located under the hood just in front of the driver. I put one of the hoses back on but the one that you cannot see has been open since-i just saw it yesterday but i cant locate anything that looks to plug into it. Anyone suggest a good schematic i can look at?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all steel exhaust will spill water till it warms up,its just condensation.
the explorer dont have a air pump, but i think you are talking about the hoses comming off the exhaust. if thats what you are refering to they will hook up to the square box just above it between the idle air motor an the egr valve.

air gadget

the air sucking mechanism has like 6 tubes coming out of it-it appears to be white plastic-i should take a photo of it...that would be helpful

thanks for the exhaust info-i was hoping it was something like that. still somewhat loud-not like a race truck (the sound it makes with no muffler) but a little-maybe the thing in front of what i replaced-perhaps the catalytic converter-is bad too...

well all i cak think of is the vacum t manifold , so maybe its best you take a pic an show us. the catalytic converter isnt there to muffle sound its there to burn off unburnt gas.

This thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113951
describes my issue pretty much dead on-it does look like an octypus. So i guess as you say it is the vacuum manifold. I guess i can get a plug to put over the hole-i taped over it this morning but i wonder what it went to originally. It s that one around the back and under that you cannot see.

not all the port are in use but there is more for add ons.
there is 3 small hoses in use
1 for the brake booster an 1 for cruse control if u have it.
so other then that the other are just caped over.

ok swell
my cruise control still works and i think my brakes work!

You would know it if you had no pwr brake assist The pedal would be rock solid and the truck would be difficult to stop. The third vacuum hose supplies vacuum to the reservoir for the A/C system. I dont remember but i thought there was one for the automatic trans too

yes auto trans

yes i did have a problem with the trans and someone mentioned that vacuum thing for that. My ac stopped working over the summer although i think its more of a old freon issue.

I got some of those vacuum caps and now its purring like a kitten (with big claws)

Thats a pretty big stable you have there...all present and running?

thanks

Thanks, the Lincoln, Bronco and 92 exp run fine. However, the 92 needs some rearend work. The 94 has the motor out for some leak issues. I'm going to put a five speed in it too. The 93 is my daily driver. The model T is furthest from life at this point. It is merely a collection of parts. I am going to build an original car when i get all the parts I need. So far i have enough to put together a rolling chassis that could be driven. My dad has a '22 roadster that we use every summer for shows etc.

Back