watt? questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

watt? questions

cstanton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport
about to get 2 10" kicker l5 subs with a 750 kicker amp would it be necessary to also add my 1200 watt xplod amp to it to help push the subs. also what would i need to run a dual amp setup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump need more info?

about to get 2 10" kicker l5 subs with a 750 kicker amp would it be necessary to also add my 1200 watt xplod amp to it to help push the subs. also what would i need to run a dual amp setup?

an xplod amp is not going to help any system. regardless of the power it says it puts out. i would just stick with the 750 kicker. they can handle 450rms so putting 375 to each is going to be a pretty good match.

the Sony amp puts way less than 1200 watts... if it is the XM-2002GTR, then around 500x1 at 4ohm

I love that game amp manufacturers play, listing peak power output instead of RMS. I remember when pryamid first started selling junk that said like 3000watts out of a teeny little amp, what a joke.

What's worse is there's not a standardized method for measuring wattage. Even RMS figures are suspect. That said, they do at least indicate something, though vaguely. Peak measurements, on the other hand, are completely worthless. Many companies will run XXXX watts through an amp and if it handles the load for 1/10 sec., they'll plaster the number in large letters all over the packaging.

Light bulb test

We used to test amps with a 300 watt incandescent bulb. The brightest with a test tone always had the highest volume.

bat

bump need more info?

Back on track....

Yes more info is needed.

What is the ohm rating on the subs?
Are they dual voice coil?

What is the lowest stable ohm rating on the amp?

What's worse is there's not a standardized method for measuring wattage. Even RMS figures are suspect. That said, they do at least indicate something, though vaguely. Peak measurements, on the other hand, are completely worthless. Many companies will run XXXX watts through an amp and if it handles the load for 1/10 sec., they'll plaster the number in large letters all over the packaging.

There is a standardized testing method now called CEA-2006. It is only optional, not required. But if you are compairing 2 amps that are rated using CEA-2006, then at least it is apples to apples.

crutchfield lists the kicker 10" l5 as a DVC 4 ohms per coil, so getting two of those you can wire them up for either 4 ohm impedance or 1 ohm, although you would have a get a JL audio amp or another high quality one to run at one ohm.

the 750 watt kicker you mentioned only goes down to 2 ohms so with the combo you are thinking about your only wiring option would be to wire them to a 4 ohm load which your amp will put out 375 watts RMS at, which is decent to start with.

now you might be thinking, but my speakers can handle twice that load when put together, so won't they sound underpowered, not so much. the reason why is that it take 4 times the mechanical energy (watts) to make it sound twice as loud (db) so while you may be underpowered by a couple hundred watts it will make a small difference. basically imagine you are pumping 200 watts into your subs, to make them sound twice as loud you would have to increase the power to 800 watts, then to 2400 watts to double their sound again.

once you have the money (presuming you don't now) i'd go for a heavy duty JL audio amp which can handle a 1 ohm load and will deliver the full power to your subs. but the kicker will work fine for awhile. ditto on that sony xplod POS, don't even use it.

also make sure you use the right size wiring, at least 4 gauge (i'd personally do 2 gauge) wiring to the amp, it will make a difference.

for wiring options click here

calisoundmix you are wrong on a few things. The Kicker s10l5 is available in dual 2ohm or dual 4ohm. So if he has the dual 2ohm he is good to run 2ohm mono to his amp. Also no JL Audio amp is 1ohm stable. The slash series are 1.5ohm stable but being that they put out the same power from 1.5-4 ohm so a JL amp is always a good bet.

well now i know everyone hates xplod now ha but im actually pleased with my xplod(2) 12" p5's and my xplod amp and even with a ****ty qlogic sealed box i have gotten only compliments about my system and its enough to make my ears hurtwith some songs and bass mixes. but bascially i wanted to go with a system from the same manufacturer. the main thing is that im the type of person who doesnt always have my subs turned up and dont really care if people can hear me from a mile away. basically im just wanting something that looks good and sounds good .

i have a kicker solobaric l7 and JL audio amp 500/1:D and believe me more than enough. dont put that sonny explode in, it's not worth the time to instal it.

Back