• Register Today It's free!

Weird beeping

phareous

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
None
Almost every day after I first begin driving I will get a series of quick beeps that last maybe 3-5 seconds. It happens randomly, only once, and within 2 miles of me leaving home. I see absolutely nothing on the console displays...if it was cross traffic alert it should have an alert there. I don't see the red lights flash with the collision warning. I'm thinking maybe it is something with MFT...but I don't know of anything that beeps like that. Like when it finishes indexing music for example? Does anyone have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what that could be. I haven't caught ours doing anything like that. Is it something you could catch on video and post?

Almost every day after I first begin driving I will get a series of quick beeps that last maybe 3-5 seconds. It happens randomly, only once, and within 2 miles of me leaving home. I see absolutely nothing on the console displays...if it was cross traffic alert it should have an alert there. I don't see the red lights flash with the collision warning. I'm thinking maybe it is something with MFT...but I don't know of anything that beeps like that. Like when it finishes indexing music for example? Does anyone have any ideas?
Could it be your phone? I initially thought that the Ex beeped a few seconds after I turned it off. After a few months, I discovered it was my cell phone that beeped when it lost the bluetooth connection. We seniors sometimes take a little longer to catch on.;)

Peter

Do you carry anything some what heavy in the passenger seat? Maybe it thinks someone is sitting there and its beeping to remind them to buckle up.

Do you hear anything else? such a voices in your head? :D

Not sure what that could be. I haven't caught ours doing anything like that. Is it something you could catch on video and post?

I thought about that, but I'd have to figure out the logistics of filming the dash while also driving

Do you carry anything some what heavy in the passenger seat? Maybe it thinks someone is sitting there and its beeping to remind them to buckle up.

Nothing on the passenger seat except maybe my breakfast

Could it be your phone? I initially thought that the Ex beeped a few seconds after I turned it off. After a few months, I discovered it was my cell phone that beeped when it lost the bluetooth connection. We seniors sometimes take a little longer to catch on.;)

I don't think so...it sounds like it is coming from the dash or speakers...not my pocket

It happened again this morning - within a mile of home. I took video with my phone but apparently it didn't record sound so it is useless...I may try again later with my camcorder. I noticed it went off right as I was slowing down for a car turning...so it is possible it is the collision avoidance system. However, I did not notice the LEDs flash nor did I see any message in the console.

Does anyone know if the LEDs flashing on the HUD should be visible in the daytime, and if there is an additional message on the console screens?

It happened again this morning - within a mile of home. I took video with my phone but apparently it didn't record sound so it is useless...I may try again later with my camcorder. I noticed it went off right as I was slowing down for a car turning...so it is possible it is the collision avoidance system. However, I did not notice the LEDs flash nor did I see any message in the console.

Does anyone know if the LEDs flashing on the HUD should be visible in the daytime, and if there is an additional message on the console screens?

The crash detection beeping is very loud, you can't mistake it. Yes, you can see it in the daytime. No message on the screen pops up.

You can turn off the flashing lights in the settings menu, so it might be turned off, or it doesn't work.

As harlenm said, the audible warning is quite loud and the flashing lights will show on the windshield. If in doubt, you can turn the audible warning or the whole system OFF and see if you still get the beeps.

Peter

I am pretty confident this is the collision warning system that is beeping. I've never seen the HUD activate. I am hoping it will go off at night to verify but at this point I am pretty sure it is broke. I am going to schedule service to get them to check out the LED module

According to the manual, it should be beep or HUD or both... but there is nothing displayed on the 2 sync screens unlike some of the other systems (cross traffic, etc.)

I am pretty confident this is the collision warning system that is beeping. I've never seen the HUD activate. I am hoping it will go off at night to verify but at this point I am pretty sure it is broke. I am going to schedule service to get them to check out the LED module

According to the manual, it should be beep or HUD or both... but there is nothing displayed on the 2 sync screens unlike some of the other systems (cross traffic, etc.)
It is in the left hand screen. Settings/Driver Assist/Collision Warning - Sensitivity (High, Normal, Low); Chimes (ON, OFF); Warning (ON,OFF).

Peter

It is in the left hand screen. Settings/Driver Assist/Collision Warning - Sensitivity (High, Normal, Low); Chimes (ON, OFF); Warning (ON,OFF).

Peter

No I wasn't referring to the settings...I was referring to alert/notification. Cross traffic will popup something saying a car is approaching, etc. But collision system has no notices. I did already go in the settings and make sure chime and warning are on...but the LED HUD module never seems to activate

No I wasn't referring to the settings...I was referring to alert/notification. Cross traffic will popup something saying a car is approaching, etc. But collision system has no notices. I did already go in the settings and make sure chime and warning are on...but the LED HUD module never seems to activate
Okay, I guess I misunderstood the post. I don't know if an actual warning message pops up or not. I'll try it and see. Hopefully I won't hit anything in the process. :D
In any case your HUD should function if it is set to ON and should be visible even in bright sunlight.

Peter

Unless the thing only lights for half a second, it is not functioning even in sunlight. It could be the cable is loose or maybe the module is defective. I notice when I toggle the settings that it does the beep - does it also flash the LEDs? If not then I know of no way to test other than almost rear-ending someone :)

When it goes off, there is no mistaking it. It is bright, and flashes a good number of times when activating.

When it goes off, there is no mistaking it. It is bright, and flashes a good number of times when activating.

Thanks Vince...everything is pointing to my LED module being dead. I wonder if they test these things in the factory? I've never seen it go off

I would imagine they go through some sort of testing, and LED's tend to be pretty reliable. Something might have been jostled loose during shipping. In any case, I would think it would be a pretty simple fix :)

Unless the thing only lights for half a second, it is not functioning even in sunlight. It could be the cable is loose or maybe the module is defective. I notice when I toggle the settings that it does the beep - does it also flash the LEDs? If not then I know of no way to test other than almost rear-ending someone :)
Well I didn't get a chance to run into anything but the HUD should flash along with the audible warning when it set to ON in the settings. Since you are not getting the HUD flashing when doing that, it is a good indication that something is not working. Also the audible is more of a rapid chime than a beep.
Do you still get the 'beeps' when the Collision Warning system is OFF? If, so then that is another issue.
Good luck.

Peter

I took a look at the service manual. The LED module may be disabled in direct sunlight or if the cabin is too hot in order to protect the LEDs. I do not think that is the problem in my case because I have never seen them go off either. It also says they should briefly illuminate when putting ignition into RUN. Plus you said they will indeed flash when toggling the settings.

The next thing I am going to try to do is check the wiring harness for it. If all looks good I'll take it to Ford since I can't do any of their diagnostics (having the module do a self test, checking the network, etc.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know it lights up when you start the car, right?

If it doesn't, something is wrong.

Back