Weird Brake light issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Brake light issues

protomind

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited Edition
Brakes work great, however the light comes on. . . . it sucks. The problem is that whenever I wiggle the parking brake around (while it is fully up) I can make the brake light turn off. Is there some sort of switch or something that may be going bad?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it's called a brake relay switch ...if you have one...

Am I asking the wrong way? Wrong forum?

how much wiggle do you have ?? their are plastic bushing at the top of the brake arm maybe their worn out take a flashlight an peek up under your dash while you work pedal around

how much wiggle do you have ?? their are plastic bushing at the top of the brake arm maybe their worn out take a flashlight an peek up under your dash while you work pedal around

This wiggle is on the emergency brake, is that where the bushings are?

The in dash brake warning lights.

Would failure of this switch cause intermitant brake warning ligt to come on and off? Also possibly on occasion causing the abs light to come on?

my light in my dash used to come in, my fluid was low. make sure it's filled. dont' know why fluid would be related to e-brake, but it fixed it.

My dashboard brake light came on. While the brake fluid was not low, it was not full either. Added a splash of brake fluid and the light went off. This forum helps me out yet another time. Thank you.

BTW, I've also had to replace the brake relay switch a few times. On my explorer, I know it has failed when the brake lights just stay on all time.

I still have the ABS light which stays on 80% of the time. I'm thinking it is one of the front wheel sensors. Lower priority for me since I don't have snow and ice to deal with.

Back