• Register Today It's free!

weird clicking noise

ChopsExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Milford Ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
so ive been having this weird noise coming from my engine in my 91 explorer xlt recently, everytime i turn on my car the engine seems to make a clicking noise, which starts off slow and then when i start moving the clicking happens faster and does not stop, the sound seems like its coming from the bottom of the engine or by the fan, im not exactally sure what it is and i was wondering if any of you might have had similar things happen to their explorer, it might be a rocker arm, but i dont know
any help would be appreciated

Maybe an exhaust manifold leak? That would make a ticking sound. Buy or borrow a mechanics stethoscope to help locate the source of the noise.

If the noise varies with the RPMs, and if it quiets down a bit once warmed up, I suspect a lifter. Fairly common problem in the Gen I Explorer 4.0s.

Incidentally, if the flex plate is warped for any reason (ie, cracked) but only slightly, you can hear a similar ticking- the ring gear connecting against the inside of the bell housing.

My first thought, and easiest suggestion would be to make sure your engine oil is topped off.

Back