Weird Issue with MyFord Touch

tecmjl1981

Reaction score
City, State
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited
Greetings All,
After months of going back and fourth with my dealer on where my pre-order was I finally recevied my '11 Tuxedo Black Limited Explorer, and so far it has been a very good experience, except for a few small quirks I have seen/experienced with MyFord Touch. On Monday, the system reset itself and displayed the following screen for approximaetly 15 minutes;
reboot.jpg

Once that came back up features of the system that didnt work before started to work, like the text messaging feature. The next day I start having issues where in the Navigation system a back arrow next to the compass shows up that says NAV.MAP and when I hit back it will bring me back to the last section I was in. Also on the home page I have the same back arrow with HOME written next to it and when I hit back it refreshes the home screen. It only happens when the car is in motion not parked idleing. I took a video so people can see it in action, sorry for the quality though.... Any thaughts on what the issue could be? I am hesitant on doing a master reset, I have too many saved addresses in the system, but if I have to I will. Sorry about the picture sizes and once the weather is nicer in NJ I will post pictures of my new toy :)

Navigation Pic
nav.jpg

Home Screen Pic
home.jpg

Video Link (again sorry about the quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygA6KMRWeBo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How long have you had it? I'm wondering if the dealer attempted and failed the MFT update. I'd go to syncmyride.com and get the latest and attempt to install the latest.

Your text messaging works with a BB??? I like that news! Hope it works with android, but I know it won't :(

I have had it for 5 days. When I go to syncmyride the only option it gives me to download is a tool that checks and verifys what version is installed on the car. This is what the site is saying is installed in my car;
BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 2/9/2011
BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/26/2011
BT4T-14D544-BE Gen2 - V2.4 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/26/2011

so it looks like the car updated itself today, but no issue(s) fixed.... but it is the same update 3x, which to me is not a good sign

Yes it does work and very well :). I have a blackberry torch which from what I know is the only supported phone that works with the text messaging feature

After alittle more digging on the issue, I found out that once the car accelerates the issue happens and then i can clear it and all is good, that is until I come to a complete stop and accelerate again. I guess its time to call the dealer and see why my 5 day old Explorer is acting up

so it looks like the car updated itself today, but no issue(s) fixed.... but it is the same update 3x, which to me is not a good sign

I am almost positive sync will not update itself. It looks more like the 26th is where the failure started.

I thaught it didnt update itself, but after seeing what i posted I am all confused

Mine was very buggy too and was getting worse. I had the same message come up twice. The problems started with my phone not connecting properly, then my Nav went and then my ipod (USB connection). It was on and off and then my phone just wouldn't connect anymore and I couldn't delete it Anyway, to make a long story short, I made an appointment to have them check this next week. After I read your post about a master reset, I went looking for it. I reset it and now everything works perfect. Not a single problem (knock knock on wood). I cancelled my appointment.

I would do the master reset. I bet it will fix your problem. Takes only a few minutes to put your personal settings back. Write down your Nav locations and add them later using voice.

Good luck.

master reset

Can you describe how to do a master reset and what do you lose if you do the reset?

Thanks

Can you describe how to do a master reset and what do you lose if you do the reset?

Thanks

Select the "Menu" button in the top center of the screen.

Select "Settings" and then "System".

Scroll all the way down you will see "Master Reset".

This will erase any Navigation entries, anything downloaded from your phone (address, etc.) and any Bluetooth connections. It will return all your settings to how you recieved it from the factory. It will not erase your Fuel Economy stats located to the left of your Speedometer.

Make sure you unplug any USB/AV connections before doing this.

It will go blank and you may need to shut the car off and open/close the door so that everything goes black. Then turn the car back and and it should start up again.

I try not to keep pressing the buttons when it doesn't respond. I'm not sure if that was the problem, but I now wait for the phone/Nav/Audio/Climate control to be up and running before I press any buttons.

It's a computer after all and needs a little time to boot up. Once it's booted, it's fine.

:thumbsup:

Hey everyone,

I wanted to let you guys know that we are paying attention to your concerns and the engineering team is reviewing them. Regular SYNC/MyFord Touch updates are planned that will provide additional enhancements to your system. Please continue to share any issues or private message me if you prefer. Thanks!

Cory

Well tomorrow would make a week and guess what..... My explorer is going BACK TO THE DEALER FOR SERVICE AGAIN. Now my MFT has decided to reboot 4x in the last week and today on my 45 minute drive home from work, no activity on the screen at all. The LCD cluster in the dash worked fine, but the MFT screen was dead. I turned the car off and back on again and it started to function like nothing ever happened.

My truck isnt even 2 weeks old and less than 1 week from being in the shop last time and it is going back... This is SO extremly frustrating.... I just hope the dealer listens this time and a master reset wont fix it, as we can tell from my new issues

I had this issue starting 2 days ago. The system keeps blacking out and says it's doing a scheduled maintenance but I have no clue what it really is doing.

Ugh!

This thread is now making me seriously consider opting for a Durango.

Cory, you guys better figure something out fast. Sounds like this is a major issue.

I've only had my Ex for a day but played with the MyFord Touch for a good hour in my garage last night. I had no problems hooking up my Samsung Alias2 non-smart-phone and importing my contacts right away. I even put in my 8GB SD card full of MP3s and wallpaper images. I activated Sync from the syncmyride.com website and connected to my home's wireless connection (though there is little benefit to do this besides updating).

I wouldn't let software issues determine my $40K purchase. These are small and can be updated by the owner fairly easily. The syncmyride.com website walks you through how to update it. Now if the unit kept going dead/black every few days, then yeah, I'd take it into the dealership for nothing short of a unit replacement.

I agree with Edge. This system does have a few programming bugs. Probably because of the many different OS found on many different phones. When it works, it's great. I've had some problems initially with this, but when I did a master reset, it worked fine. Don't make your decision just on this problem.

BTW, if you are getting the Durango/Jeep, wait until next year when they will hopefully have a better transmission. I also considered them, but I liked the 3rd row space in the Explorer. The new Explorer is a nice step down from the Expedition (size wise).

As a side note to Ford Customer Service: Please move the hazzard button. I keep activating it while I'm playing around with the touch screen. Does this happen to anyone else?

I'll know for sure I made the right decision after I tow my boat and try this thing on the sand. Hopefully soon.

BTW, if you are getting the Durango/Jeep, wait until next year when they will hopefully have a better transmission. I also considered them, but I liked the 3rd row space in the Explorer. The new Explorer is a nice step down from the Expedition (size wise).

Yeah, I heard about the new 8 speed, but it may not be available until 2013, and I can't wait that long. I would have already bought a new Jeep, but without the 3rd row, it is out of the running. The Durango has the third row, but not the 2nd row buckets, which are nice.

The two things I like better on the Durango are the RWD based AWD and the ability to control the rear DVD from the front NAV screen (as well as the Sirius Flo TV). Everything else goes to the Ex ;)

I know I made the right decision with mine as well. It is just frustrating that is all. BTW my dealer updated me, they dont know what is causing the issue and has a call in to Fords Engineering department to see what they say to do. Cory can you offer any help, you can PM me if you can

Back