Weird vibration while traveling at highway speed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird vibration while traveling at highway speed.

samrebel

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted here, had my transmission rebuilt about 3 years ago, and it's mostly worked fine. I determined that it needed rebuilding after going throught my valve body with the help of Glacier and others here, and putting in a shift kit and some of the upgrades. Now I'm back asking about something that I think has been around for a while but I only recently figured out was a transmission issue. When I'm traveling at high interstate speeds (80-90 mph) and need to downshift for a hill, the transmission vibrates at a fairly high frequency while shifting. It feels like I'm driving over those ridges on the edge of the road designed to wake up drivers that are dozing off, but maybe a little higher frequency and a little less intensity. It only does this under load and at high speed. I think it's in the shift from 5th to 3rd, although that's just a guess. Anybody have any ideas on what this might be?

I've renamed, and moved your post into its own thread. This problem could be a number of things such as a warped driveshaft, transfer case problem, improperly balanced tires or a transmission issue (band apply pressure is lacking due to a leaking servo piston).

Back